TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Love my sunset!

Guest · 3 · 4141

jsorvik

I have has a sunset for about 4 weeks and after 800 miles, I have to say that I love it so far! Everything is stock at this point with the exception of a Bestum trunk that I added and a cheap after-market wind screen. After the break-in period, I have a speed of about 38 mph on the flat. Up steep hills it maintains about 25 mph and downhill it approaches 47 mph.

Just for the record I weigh about 190, so I am not a light weight. Overall I am very impressed with the power/speed for a 50cc

Gas mileage seems to be around 65 mpg . . . which is close to what they advertise, but seems significantly less than other scooters. Does the morini motor have a tendency toward lower mpg?

A couple of other questions if anyone has answers:

• What is a good source for replacement tires when the stock ones wear out? They are an odd size and I have not been able to find them online anywhere. I am especially concerns given the rumors that the sunset will not be imported any longer.
  • What size are the weights in the varietor? I would like to try some 5.5g Dr Pulleys.
  • My speed is off by approximately 6 mph. Is there any way to adjust? Would slightly larger tires help correct that?

Well enough for now. . . hope to hear from some of you sunset owners!

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
Hi,
Glad to see another TGB scooter owner here.
The tire on the Sunset is the same as the Delivery.
and of course go to the dealer for a replacement  remember that a
tire may last for 5 years on the shelf. ;)
Parts for discontinued scooters are stocked for a couple of years after.
 Add the fact that all the TGB 49cc motors are the same.

oilyhans
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:05:41 PM by harry »
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

rjbosco

I have a 2007 R50X scooter -- about 225 miles on it.  I too have noticed how far off the speedometer is (reads 6-7 mph high).  It gives the impression that you are going as fast as 37 mph when in fact the restrictor is doing its job, keeping the high-end at 30 mph.  Knowing that makes it particularly unnerving when going up a hill with cars behind you and the speedometer reads 24 mph (but you're actually going a lot slower than that).

Is there anything we can do to make the speedometer run more true?