TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Maintenance question

Guest · 5 · 2605

ponchbb13

Glad to see there are other Key West riders out there. Its a nice bike. I got mine 2 springs ago and have put on 4,200 miles on it in 2 short season of riding in Minnesota.

My knowledge on maintenance and mechanical stuff on scooters in very limited but I want to learn.
It sounds much like the problem someone had in a prior posting but I have had a little problem with my bike I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

It was derestricted by the dealer and does about 45. Its ran great until last summer when it started having problems getting over 30. One day while riding it lost power going full speed and then would start fine and ideal great but when I reved it up it almost worked like a reverse throttle and seemed to flood it out if I have it more than like 1/4 throttle. After about 20 minutes of feathering the throttle it got going again fine. Then a couple days later it did the same thing and didn't want to go over 20-30 again and would die if I have it gas. It has been off and on. I never know when it will run good and when it won't, it will just stop running well out of nowhere. I replaced the spark plug without any difference. Its almost like there is a small pebble that gets stuck in the carb that gets lodged then becomes clear.
When I stopped riding it in the winter for couple months, it didn't go full speed and was having the same problems but when I took it out last week it ran great but seemed to be blowing alot of blue smoke, more than usually out of the exhaust.
And its not very reliable I want to change that.

Doe sit sound like its getting too much oil and can I adjust that?
Or is just a clogged carb and is that diffiuclt to clean for a first timer?
I was also told I might be able to run a slightly hotter plug and that may help. Any suggestions? THanks in advance to anyone willing the help. I would really appreciate it.

l. 

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped

Doe sit sound like its getting too much oil and can I adjust that?
Or is just a clogged carb and is that diffiuclt to clean for a first timer?
I was also told I might be able to run a slightly hotter plug and that may help. Any suggestions? THanks in advance to anyone willing the help. I would really appreciate it.

l. 

most likely the oil/smoke thing is just do to siting for the  winter ;go for a long ride
and it should clear up. you might try a different oil
no you can't adjust the pump

the carb is easy to clean; taking it out is more involved than cleaning it
the problem could very well be what you thought a stuck or dirty
float or jet

for now just use the stock plug nkg-bpr7hs

good luck!

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

ponchbb13

Harry-

I am still experiencing problems with my scooter. It continues to run poorly. Hoping you can help by giving some advice that will get it up and running or if you have the parts I might need.

A friend of mine does small engine repair and I brought it back to him again for the same problem. He took apart and cleaned the carb and put a new spark plug on my scooter. He fixed the problem but obviously not the cause. I drove the scooter for about 3 weeks and it started doing the same thing as before, but only periodically. It will drive fine for awhile and unexpectedly and for various lengths of time it, giving it more than half throttle will cause the engine to die. But then if I turn it off and let it sit for a second, it will sometimes start working good again. Its extremely frustrating because I don’t have confidence to drive it very far distances at all.

My buddy thought I might be able to experiment with a carb kit to replace some of the seals and jets (possibly put it larger jets so they don’t get clogged?). Could the gas filter be replaced?

What other options do I have. I am using 92 oct. gas and decent oil and changed the gear oil and cleaned and re-oiled air filter.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
there could be some water someplace ,tank or filter
and it's the problem use some iso-heet or heet in
the gas tank and see if that clears it up.

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

ponchbb13

The problems seemed to have all started last summer after I added a little bit of Octane booster to the gas. I don't think I added too much?? I did syphon out all of that gas after a couple days because I thought that was what messed it up.

Could that have the same effect?

I will give the iso-heet a try, thanks a ton for the help Harry.