TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Maintenance questions

Guest · 16 · 8345

jtl

What is the proper weight gear lube to use?  I have some Mobil 1 75-90, will this work.  It appears from the sevice records that 70-90 was used in the past but no reference to what brand. 

Also are there any oil recommendations?

jsorvik

I have a sunset and my manual specifies a 90w oil . . . so I would assume your 75-90 should be fine.

The guys I talk to recommend synthetic oils, but I would think any good quality gear oil should be fine as long as it is changed at the specified intervals.

Just my $.02

jtl

I cannot visually see the brass restrictor ring that is frequently mentioned.  I bought the scooter used, but the owner (original) was adamant about the fact it was totally stock.  Could it be that it never had one.  I can do 45mph according the speedo which probably means more like high 30's.
John

jsorvik

I would say it was definitely removed. . . it may have been removed by the dealer that the original owner purchased your scooter from. I know that my dealer removed it for me. If your speedo is comparable to mine, 45 on the speedo is 38 mph in actual speed. You would never attain that with the restriction in place.

Good news! You don't have to take the variator apart to de-restrict your scooter!

jtl

I think you are right.  I don't think the original owner even knew it.  I have been trying to find out what the life expectancy of these motors and trannys are but know one seems to have any info.  I would think the TGB or the distributor would have information like this but if they do it is not readily available.

Bill Peirce

I cannot visually see the brass restrictor ring that is frequently mentioned.  I bought the scooter used, but the owner (original) was adamant about the fact it was totally stock.  Could it be that it never had one.  I can do 45mph according the speedo which probably means more like high 30's.
John

What year is your Key West?

Pre-2006 models didn't have a brass washer. The washer was added to meet the EPA rules for 2006.  If you have a 2006 or newer without a brass washer, then someone removed it.

- Bill

Bill Peirce

I think you are right.  I don't think the original owner even knew it.  I have been trying to find out what the life expectancy of these motors and trannys are but know one seems to have any info.  I would think the TGB or the distributor would have information like this but if they do it is not readily available.

The 50cc TGB engine and CVT transmission are very durable units.  We sell a lot of these in Florida to be used as rentals and I've seen units with over 30,000 miles and still running the same engine/CVT.  The key to keeping a 2-stroke alive and well is to:

1.) Run high octane gas. 

2.) Don't run the engine at max RPM for a long period. People who derestrict their 50cc so they can run 45 MPH all day long need to buy a 150 or larger scooter.  A 50cc is not designed to run 45 MPH for extended periods and will heat up to a point where parts will wear poorly and eventually fail. If you must go a long distance and want to run higher speeds, just be sure to vary your speed so you don't over heat the engine.

3.) Use good quality 2-stroke oil.

4.) The CVT's are pretty tough; just follow the scheduled maintenance.  There's a video on this forum of a 101S (Same as a Key West) doing some pretty crazy stuff.

Bill

jtl

Bill,
It is a 2006 with 3800 miles.  I think the previous owner took good care of it at least he had records for all of the scheduled maintenance and the body was like new.  I won't be at 45 very often, if at all.  The guy I bought it from commuted to work on city streets and got it up to 45 at times but not for long distances without stopping for lights, ect.  My only concern is that when I took off the cover to inspect the belt I found a small amount of oil in the bottom of the CTV case that appeared to be gear lube.  What is interesting is that the area  was by the starter gear not at the rear of the case where i would expect it too be and given the angle of the case it should have pooled at the other end.  Anyway I cleaned it up real good, changed the gear oil and checked again the other day and the case was completely dry like it should be.  Maybe something else got lubed in there during the scheduled maintenance.

Thanks for the info.
John

jtl

Bill,
I meant to ask you why the EPA cares about speed restriction which I thought is what the brass washer does.  I though maybe it was to comply with state laws restricting the speed to 30mph if you don't have a motorcycle endorsement. 
John

Bill Peirce

Bill,
I meant to ask you why the EPA cares about speed restriction which I thought is what the brass washer does.  I though maybe it was to comply with state laws restricting the speed to 30mph if you don't have a motorcycle endorsement. 
John

The EPA doesn't care about the top speed of a vehicle. But they do care about how we test the vehicle and certifiy it.  Since TGB restricts the 50cc's to 30 MPH from the factory, we had to test it that way for the 2006 EPA.  So the scooter must be left alone or it is not operating like we tested it.

If you are going 45 MPH you are going to have more emissions than going 30 MPH.  So yes, the EPA cares because we test it with the brass washer in to limit the top speed to about 30 MPH.

- Bill

jtl

Makes sense.  Do you think I should be concerned about the small amount of oil in the CVT area that I referenced in a previous post?

Bill Peirce

Makes sense.  Do you think I should be concerned about the small amount of oil in the CVT area that I referenced in a previous post?

No, if the case is dry now then you are OK. 

- Bill

jtl

Does anyone know how long the CVT belt should last or how you can tell if it should be replaced.  I know on some scoots they refer to the wear limit in MM's. 

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
some recommend  replacing every 2000km
others have a wear limit like 17.5mm(new) 15.5mm replace
i've seen them break at 3000k
 i replace mine when i notice that i no longer get the top speed
i had when new(belt& weights).

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

jtl

Harry, it is interesting that a new belt and weights would make a noticeable difference.  I did read somewhere that as the belt looses width from wear that is does not ride up as high.  I suppose is would be like have the infamous restricter ring in installed.  I didn't realize that the weights wear out.  Would you by any chance know what belt and weights I need for a 2006 Key West?  At some point I would like to put on a big bore kit, but I am a little concerned about whether it will create more problems than it is worth.  The service manager at the local Yamaha dealer told me they won't install these kits anymore on the Zuma's because they have had too many engines blow up.  My TBG has 4000 miles on it so I hate to put too much strain on the lower end, although I've been told these engines are very strudy.  I also have a 2002 Vino that I just purchased for my wife but it only has 350 miles on it so I doubt if it needs anything at the present time.  I did remove the ring and the restricter in the muffler.  What a difference that made! Thanks.
John