TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

new tires, new problem

Guest · 3 · 2065

pauld581

So I got those Pirelli tires for my scooter. A local motorcycle shop changed them for me and I picked them up this afternoon, and they look real good.

The problem I have is that a little while after I picked them up the shop called me to say that I they thought I had left a spacer there. I told them I didn't think so, but they said that my scooter was the only small bike they had worked on all week and by the size of this spacer it must be mine. They left it outside the shop for me and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow (Saturday).

The thing is, in looking at the service manual diagrams, the only spacer I see is on the front wheel between the brake disc and the wheel, and I don't think that they would have had to take the brake disc off to change the tire. You might wonder why I just don't ask them if they took off the brake disc, and I would do that, except:
- they are closed on Saturdays
- they are going to Sturgis next week and will be closed until the 14th!

So right now I don't know what to do! I tried real quick to see if that brake disk could come off easily, and it can't. I think I would actually strip the allen bolt heads if I tried to loosen them. So either the shop took them out and put them back in with who-knows-what, or they haven't been loosened any time recently. I really can't tell.

Does anyone have any idea what this space could be, and where it could have come from? I know when I took the rear wheel there was just a washer and a nut. When I did the front wheel I tapped out the axle and when I could slide the wheel out I pulled off the speedo thing and that was it. I don't remember any other parts besides the axle, a washer, and a nut.

I am really desperate for info on this!

Thanks,
Paul

pauld581

Crisis averted! I went to the shop and got the little spacer. When I got home it was obvious what it was: it goes in the bearing on the disc side to provide clearance from the disc to the left fork. Whew!

I put the wheels back on and I must say the ride is fantastic. These are the Pirelli SL26 tires, I went with 120/70-12 in the front and the 130/70-12 in the back. The scooter seems a little higher, and I know that my pressure before was good...it does look like there's a slightly higher wall on these. I am genuinely impressed with the ride.

Incidentally, I am going to wait on the 70cc upgrade. No time right now and I am getting 42-45+ mph and that is okay for now.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
to confirm the spacer location  ,yes it goes on the front axle.

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide