TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Blowing Fuses

Guest · 5 · 3555

jsorvik

Just recently my sunset has started to blow the main fuse off the battery. The first one was about 3 weeks ago. . . then a few days ago, I blew the second one. I assumed maybe it was cheap Taiwanese fuses, so I bought some brand new fuses from the auto parts store and replaced it with a name-brand fuse.  Today. . . I have blown 3!

I am sure there must be a short somewhere. . . and I know that I will probably have to go through all the wires and look for loose connections, etc. . . but has anyone had this problem with a sunset/tgb scooter. Any chance of likely places to start. . . Life is really busy right now and I don't have a lot of time to try and track this down.

Thanks!

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
might be in the light  or start switch's..
 a simple fix is to put tape on the handle bars under
the switchs...
or the volage regulator might have a loose wire or connector.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

jsorvik

Well, I think I found it. . . I was putting a new fuse in and then looking at the connections at the front of the scooter. I turned on the turn signals and when I used the left signal, the lights didn't flash and the flasher relay began to SMOKE!!! Then, poof, the fuse blew again. The side of the flasher relay was actually melting. . . So, I assume the flasher relay was defective. Alas. . . the part is not in stock so it is back to hand signals until a new part arrives. . .

jsorvik

Well. . . the new flasher arrived and I still blow fuses when I try to use the "left flashers". Must be a shorted wire somewhere. . . so now I am on to tracing all the wires to find out where the problem is. sigh. . . .

jsorvik

Sure enough . . . a pinched wire back by the rack. Fixed the wire and all is well again.