TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

laser r5 not starting

Guest · 6 · 4145

Majorwingnutt

I have a 2007 Laser r5 that won't start. I went to look at it about a month ago and it started just fine, I bought it last wednesday, had it delivered, and now it won't start. The plug was fouled so I replaced it, and the cdi. It is getting spark, but I don't know if it is enough spark. Seems to have good compression, and is getting fuel. I am going to try a coil next. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! I bought it for transportation to a new job and am now really up that proverbial creek!

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
what happens when you give it a shot of starting fluid?
 does it stay running? or die in a few seconds?

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

Majorwingnutt

At first it did nothing. I went back over everything  and found a bad wire to the cdi. Replaced that and it finally started, but it is not running correctly. Low power and noise from around the are of the variator. I am going to adjust the carb tomorrow. I just need to find out the base setting for the air mixture screw. I am reasonably mechanically inclined as I have worked with automotive engines and nitro radio control car engines for alittle over 20 years, but this is my first 2-stroke scooter. I only paid $130 for the scooter so I don't mind spending some cash on it, I just have to get it running well enough to make some.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
start about 1 - 1/4 turns out on the air screw.
the links to the service manuals are at the bottom of
the forum home page.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

Majorwingnutt

Thanks for the info. It helped a lot. I have major problems though. I believe my crankshaft bearings are shot. There is a so mich play in it that it wobbles against the kick start mechanism. Gonna research that now.

wildsvix

Did you get anny results from your investigation? Im having the same problems. :)