TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

04 tgb laser

Guest · 30 · 10453

adronet82

Just bout a 04 laser for $200 non running....played around with carb and now runs...I can't get it to idle and seems to bog a little while holding steady on throttle. What may be the issue with idle and bogging? I've never owned a scooter before. Also sometimes it starts fine and other times it takes pulling the plug and dumping a little gas on the plug to get it to fire. What engine is in this? And yes one more thing, oil light is on? Please any help would be awesome

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
oil light  is the first issue  with no oil you will blow the motor in a few miles.
check the oil tank is full , then check the wires to the sensor are connected .

start by cleaning the carb , drain old gas and add new.  if possible
 use non ethanol gas.

never hurts to put in a new plug either .

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

adronet82

Plug is new from when I bought scoot two weeks ago, carb sat in carb dip for hour and all ports blown out, oil resivoir is 3/4 full, fresh full tank of premium gas. When I do need to pull plug to dump gas on the plug to get it started it has oil on it....where would I find the oil sensor at? Do u run a scoot shop oilyhans? I will be wanting to speed this lil guy up once running right...slider weights, new main jet since I read stock is undersized, clutch springs and removing brass ring thing from variator to begin with....is that a good start and oh unrestricted CSI?

adronet82

First of all I see that after your name it says u a shop owner....secondly I meant cdi not CSI....thirdly I just found out the cable for my oil pump was snapped....know of where I can get one oilyhans or anyone? Thanks

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
never worked on a 04  but according to the parts book
you have a split cable oiler . lots of scooters had that style but  its a bad design
 as you might notice .if the cable snaps it does not open the pump 'valve'

so first thing  make sure you have a 50;1 oil mix in the gas tank!
 that will keep you from seizing the piston until you get a new cable  and i can get it for you if you want.
parts manual here:
http://www.peirspeed.com/Cobrasales/parts/tgb/TGB%20303R-50%20Parts%20Manual.htm
then  find
 30.HANDLEBAR   
cable is part #5  ( throttle )

the oil sensor is  in the oil tank,  see if its connected to the harness .

and yeah i've had a shop since 05
about the carb  you might just want to put on a 17mm  its easier than up jetting the stock 12mm .

about the unlimited cdi , it will allow the motor to use more rpms but it doesn't
 produce any more rpms by itself .
 you will go faster down hills  but you need a pipe , bigger carb or cylinder to actually  get more rpms.

check this post
http://tgbforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=522.msg1978#new

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

adronet82

Do u run a website for your shop for sale of parts? If so what is it? Does the oil pump only mix the oil with the fuel? I thought I came across something before where it may lube other things also???

adronet82

I didn't realize the float sensor on the oil reserves at first....I feel like an idiot.....E but did locate it this afternoon....the wires/connector was cakes in grime but all cleaned up and put back together and light is still on

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped

yes its also pumps oil to the main bearings via the  intake manifold

my site is here;
https://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart/

don't be too hard on yourself, your new to scooters

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

adronet82

oh yeah i came across that site and actually had asked for some info regarding parts........they gave me a link to some weights and jets but with the weights im confused........ they said to go with 7-9 gr weights and on the page of the link  that was sent it had a few choices.           What is the 15x12 or 17x12 about? Does it matter?           Wouldnt it be bad to run the bike with mixed gas only if the pump dont work or should the main bearings be fine???          Also are you able to get a listing for that cable i need if not too expensive cause im kinda poor and i would hate if you list and i couldnt afford

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
i would be they.
15x12 is for the minarelli (yamaha- jog)  and 17x12 is for the morini which is your motor.  you can also use 17x12.   if you add a pipe or  cylinder you will need to change the the weight of the slider.
you might read the history of the morini motor
http://tgbforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=496.0

generally you want heavier than stock for more top end
 and lighter than stock for faster take off ;  understand  that  you rob
 the top for faster take off and same goes for the heavier weights.

extra oil at worst will foul the plug , too little and you fry the piston.
the bearings will get oiled via vapor which is what the minarelli does.

you can test the oil sensor by hooking up a meter to each end
use continuity setting and lift the "float"  the meter should show
a change .

your cable is $29.95  plus shipping , if it will fit in a small USMail box shipping is
about $8.50.

oilyhans
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:19:33 PM by harry »

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

adronet82

Sweet that isn't to bad for price but I will check my paycheck at the end of the week and see what I can do, like i said I'm poor lol....hence buying a non-running scoot in hopes to get it going.  I'm still trying to get it registered also. I need to track down the last person to register it because it went thru a couple owners who didn't register it and having problems doing so with the sec of state here, pain in the butt! Is the oil pump cable really a ness fix if I just mix the fuel or could I just completely leave it out of the loop?  I propped the oil pump valve thing that the cable controls open for test runs that way its still getting flow everywhere I hope but will still mix the fuel...like u said too much oil will just foul the plug.  Pipe and big bore kit will wait till taxes unless u know someone that wants to buy a $1000 computer haha, but will deff be looking to get the speed out of it down the road........so if I'm going to pull the spacer ring thing from variator it will give a lil at the top end belt-wise and if I go lighter weight it would rob that extra top end towards accel? Would that be the 17x12 7gr weight then? Sry lil confused still cause u said the 17x12 is for the morini which I have but I could also use the17x12 lol and I don't know what the stock weight of rollers are.

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
both 17x12 & 16x13  work is what i should of said  ..
 and stock is about 8gr.  ..  sliders claim to give you about 20% performance
boost , better hill climbing & acceleration .

i'd get the pump working asap ... simplest , otherwise you have to carry
oil for that low gas and having to fill up at the station like on a long ride
or something thing.

usually if you have no title or reg or maybe just bill of sale ,you have the state police check if its  stolen ,  then if not have the licensing dept get you a
app for lost title and  after a couple of years its officially titled in your name.

oilyhans
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:30:23 PM by harry »

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

adronet82

In a couple of years it will be titled in my name? Umm am I looking at waiting that long to drive on roads then also? If so I should've planned this a couple years ago lol. I'm sorry can't afford that cable this check, I will keep in touch about it for next check maybe, buying this heap really set me back but it will be awesome in the long run. Already messin wit my older bro about racing him.....he races crotch rockets .....if I get parts I will deff check with ur store first as I know I can count on the right part from u.....I do have a trail permit on this so will riding without pump really hurt me or would I just do the same with a 2stoke dirt bike and mix at every tank up? When younger I got use to carrying around oil and select few tools while riding my kx250. I do plan on the cable but for the mean time is mixing safe??? Thank you

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
you can usually ride the scooter its just the paperwork that takes that long
at least thats the way it is in WA state where i live..

as for the auto lube ,, yes you can just use premix .. in fact i sometimes
change the pump out and convert scooters to premix for customers.

2 strokes are notorious for leaking oil into the carb, cylinder, case  or
even the exhaust pipe if allowed to sit for months or even years.
 sometimes you can't even kick the scooter over due to excess oil.

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

adronet82

Is it bad to put a little fuel system cleaner in the tank just in case there still is a little blockage somewhere through the carb?