TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Using a lot of oil...leaking into air box

Guest · 12 · 6180

MrLuckarm

I have a TGB R5 2 stroke. There is oil getting into my air box and soaking my filter. I have been cleaning it and changing spark plugs thinking maybe this was normal to a certain extent from what I've read.  After a couple weeks I have realized something is definitely wrong. When I first bought it, a quart of oil would last me a very long time. A quart lasts me a week now and I have to clean air filter and change plug every week. When it starts it seems to run ok but sometimes sounds like its going to die out when idling. Can someone please help me? 

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
most likely  faulty  oil check valve(s)

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

MrLuckarm

Thanks for such a quick reply.  Is there a way to repair the check valve or do I need to get a new one?

I looked in the repair manual and could not find anything about it. Is it located where the hose from the oil pump connects to the carb?

If I do in fact need to replace it is there a way I can still run it safely until I get the part?  Like pre mixing the oil and gas? The reason I ask is because its my only mode of transport right now and riding a bicycle 9 miles to work in Florida summer sucks. 

I wasn't able to get it started this morning to make it to work on time, but when I got home it started right up.  Can running it the way it is even for only a few days cause more serious problems?

Thank you Oily Hans!

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped

well , lets make a final check  by remove the valve from the carb ;
 remove the hose  and then the valve by grabbing it with
 some small vice grips twist back & forth and pull ~ do not damage the barbed
connector!
 when its removed reconnect the hose and place it in a small jar.
 if indeed is leaking it will fill the jar overnight .

also there is a 2nd one (part  12-2 )
http://www.peirspeed.com/Cobrasales/parts/tgb/TGB%20R5%20Parts%20Book.htm
 4. CARBURETOR     part    1-13    425016    OIL  CHECK  VALVE  B  (LINEAR  TYPE)
 2. CRANK CASE          part  12-2    GA5049909    VALVE ASSY., NON-RETURN   

yes you can go premix   50;1  but  the main bearings will not get the extra oil
the pump  adds (via part  12-2 ), won't blow the motor but you loose the extra
protection it provides.

i'm a TGB dealer so let me know if you need parts

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

MrLuckarm

Ok thanks.  I will make that check tonight.

This may be a stupid question.  Is there anything I need to do when I reconnect hose after test to make sure the oil pump is primed?  Or will this test not affect it since the oil will still be in the pump? Thought I remembered reading somewhere that there was something you have to do when you get air in the line, but it doesn't make sense to me and may just be thinking about something else.

Thanks I didn't see that second part to the manual.

If I need parts (which I'm sure I will at some point) I will definitely order from you.  Do you have a website?  Or just message you or what?

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
the oil should stay in the hose ~ unless you run out at the tank.
so no need to bleed the pump  .... but if you do there is a screw on the pump that is
where you  bleed it .

yeah i have a site whidbeyislandmoped.com  you can contact me
 from there or pm me here.
 i don't list every part i have in stock  and if not in stock i can get them from
TGB  for you.  or even aftermarket mod parts if you want

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

MrLuckarm

Ok, so I did this test over night.  Disconnected hose from check valve, removed check valve from carb, put the check valve back on the hose, and placed it in a solo cup.  There was indeed oil leakage, but not that much.  Just enough to put about a half inch ring of oil in the bottom of the cup, which i think would explain my problem.  It seems to take about a week for my air filters bottom half to get soaked with oil.  Of course now that I know I clean it everyday.

So I guess I need a new check valve.  Do you sell these check valves?  I was unable to find it listed on your website.

Also I lost my key when swimming in the ocean (forgot key was in pocket) and was wondering if I have to buy a new ignition with a key or if its possible to get a blank and have a locksmith make the key from my ignition. 

Right now I just unplugged the ignition, but it leaves me kickstarting and more importantly without brake lights, turn signal, or horn (nearly saved my life a few times from lane switchers not paying attention).  I figure if I'm ordering stuff I might as well do it all at once.

Thanks again for your help.

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
i have to check if i have a check valve for the carb . i think i only have 
the kind that goes in line in the hose. 

as for the key blank yes i have some  but i need to know if its a left or right cut
here's a example;
https://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=275&zenid=ddd43750cea7cfa21c47f294bb9c1d64

all blanks here but no pictures;
https://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=39&zenid=ddd43750cea7cfa21c47f294bb9c1d64

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

MrLuckarm

Ok.  Sounds good.  Will definitely get it from you if you do have it.  If not is there a place you recommend in Florida?  I wouldn't imagine such a small part would be much of a money maker for you but I am obligated by my conscience to buy from you since you have been such a help to me and many others.  That's a rare thing and I really do appreciate it.

Is there any harm that can be done to my scooter if I keep running it as is?  I've been taking the oil hose off every time I'm not running it so oil doesn't leak into my carb.  Although I wouldn't think anything bad would happen if I left it on other than possibly not starting till I clean the oil out.

As far as the key goes...is there a way to tell whether its left or right without having the key?

Thanks.

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
if i don't have the carb valve i can get some  but they are pricy .. it is possible to clean them but they will leak again sooner or later .
the spring  is so tiny i think they just get weaker & weaker . 

thanks for your  loyalty  thats just as rare in this give me a free lunch
world we live in , and realizing i can't continue to answer questions and give
people help without some  part sales....

the key is a tricky thing  to figure without a good one and having it cut without
one to use as a template.....you might ask a local locksmith for a estimate and if too
costly a new lock set might be the easiest way to go.

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

MrLuckarm

Ok. Well if its going to leak again after I clean it then I think I might as well just buy it.  I don't know what your definition of pricey is but mine is pretty low...lol.  Either way this is my only transportation right now and I need a reliable way to get to work.

So can you tell me the price please? (msg me if you don't want to post it)

In the meantime since this part is not going to get to me any time soon I think I should try to clean it.  Should I just soak it in carb cleaner? I did notice when I placed it in the solo cup that there where a few little chunks of stuff in there.  Maybe I need a new oil filter too?

As for the key...I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I have a non functioning scooter too.  The ignition looks slightly different, but has the same 4 plugs and it looks like the bolts to attach it will line up.  This other scooter is a taizhou chuanyl (probably spelled this wrong)4 stroke. Do you think I can just swap them?

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
usually what i do is to  hold it  with some tweezers or needle nose
pliers and  heat it with a lighter  for a bit then spray cleaner in both ends  ; use the  tiny plastic tube that comes with the cleaner
then  drop it in  come carb cleaner overnight.
 the next day  spray cleaner in both ends again ; ... if its clean  spray will come out
 the end that goes in the carb and wont come out the hose end .

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph