TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

CDI Limiter?

Guest · 8 · 3961

meatshake

Hi all

I have just bought a bullet 50 that was in the middle of a 70cc kit, and subsequently is not running properly right now..

I have been reading about this cdi limiter and I am wondering how it works.

If it is supposed to cut revs over 8000rpm, if I have the bike on the center stand and rev it out, the revs should not pass 8000rpm...

Is this correct?

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
more like 9,000 -- 9,500

a half finished mod is suspect  i'd check everything if i was you.
 its so easy to put  the piston  in wrong(turned 180) as well as the rings
or a 'c' clip which would ruin your motor in the first  ten miles.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

meatshake

I agree with that suspect part! the is pop rivots everywhere and dangly bits and all sorts...

I plan to rip it apart this weekend and access what it needs.. I was a bit concerned when I read the possibility of a cdi rev limiter, but this thing revs out to 10,000 on the stand no problems So I guess that shouldn't be an issue.

Also it does run right now, it just doesn't feel much better than my vmoto milan with a zx pipe.. So I think something is a miss.

I have jetted up the carb with some jets I had around to a 85 (from a 70) and this seemed to have fixed a bit of spluttering, but it still feels very sluggish.. fun times ahead!

kennedyrd

9000 rpm on my Bullet RR. Tried one of those 5 pin "racing CDI with advanced curve", but seemed down on power, then after two or three runs just wouldn't start. Into the bin! Going to try some other brands.

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
 as you might know a un limited or un restricted cdi
 will allow the motor to turn faster ~ more rpms
however you need to develop higher rpms  like with a bbk , pipe or bigger carb.
to really make any real difference  in top end speed

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

kennedyrd

Thanks for your input Harry. Yes, it was after fitting my Technigas pipe I noticed the "problem". I thought it was rich but after trying many jets realised it was a limiter. I know what too rich is like and it was not that!  Unfortunately the aftermarket CDI unit I tried stopped working before I installed the pipe. I tried to cut the "brown wire" on my standard CDI as I see in some forums but then it wouldn't even start. I was optimistic it may have been unrestricted!

However even when I do install the 70cc kit and 17.5 mm carb I might well leave the rev limiter in place to preserve the weak crank I hear about on these Morini based motors. I suspect the motor will be "revved out the back door" even at 9000 anyway as the standard peak power is at 7500 and the Stage 6 70cc kit may well be similar in it's power band, as I chose it for it's advertised "tame exhaust timing".  If I want more top speed I will install the Polini gear set I see available. It is really only an around town scooter so even now it has the speed and power to pass cars!

Having my GP bikes I know how high maintenance highly tuned 2 strokes can get (top end rebuild every 600km and crank at 1500 km) so don't want my scooter like that!

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
your right at  looking at a gear kit upgrade.
that is the best way to get the best top
end and is the easiest on the crank .

and yeah over tuning can wipe a crank out in a
very short time.

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

meatshake

oh wow.. this is a while ago now! turns out the scooter I had had no rev limiter and was just a tuning issue with the carb causing it to crap out early.