TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Hurricane, Zip, and then there are the TGBs

Guest · 4 · 2746

carl_c

10/16/2008

Looks like this might be a fair place to pose this q.  Aside from what seems to be 2-stroke phase-out here in the states, it has been quite difficult finding a non-CHINESE 50 (49) cc 2-stroke in the past few months.  The spare time has afforded me the time to consider other brands besides Keeway & Vento.  Notably, TGB (Perispeed).  I like the looks of the Key West and it seems to have enough ooomph to keep up with 30-35mph traffic.  It also looks nimble and according to reviews I've seen, the build quality is also above par.  the load capacity suits my weight and the overall height will allow it to fit straight-up into my makeshift garage with an entryway of about 45 inches.

Problems I've run across are twofold.

1) It is next to impossible to know who actually has these things in stock and ;

2) PRICE ????  I'd like to keep the total cost to $1600.  Preferably delivered, residential (liftgate and all), yet that in itself may be against TGB dealer policy on "delivery".

-------------

I live in College Park, Maryland.  Scootertronics now carries Perispeed (though no notation specifically of TGB), yet with an in-state dealer, I'd pay SALES TAX @ 6% - YUK.

Any suggestions?

Carl

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
Carl,
A Key West is a great choice
 i just tweeked one( 08/09) to get about 45mph(zoom zoom) :o  ;)
but good luck on getting it for $1600 , msrp alone is $1749.
a dealer will also want the cost of freight they paid to get it to them
 and his prep fee. then theres tax & license.
  but you get a good 2 year warranty.
anyway, i  don't think the cobra dealer agreement will allow what you want to do.

the only way to get a "discount" is to buy used . the tabs and plates  are
cheaper, if your lucky it will be tabed for a few months and all you have to pay for is
title change.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

rjbosco

I only know of two TGB dealers near you:

Redline Motorsports (can't vouch for them)
6600 New Hampshire Ave
Takoma Park, MD 20912
202-528-7259

Mopeds MPG (where I got my R50X; great reputation for service)
2831 Dorr Ave
Fairfax, VA 22031
703-573-9655

I agree with oilyhans about pricing: unless dealers panic because of dramatically falling gas prices, you won't find anything new for less than MSRP.

carl_c

well, with cost being the deciding factor, second factor being that i absolutely need it delivered, i had to opt for a non-tgb scoot.  the genuine black cat got my dollars.  used, with 1600 miles.