TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

My first scooter and i wanna be sure...

Guest · 5 · 3136

MeloolahJayne

Hi All,

I have found a 2006 150 R9 for $550. It has 9k miles on it and does need a new carb and battery (it has been in storage for awhile, but everything else on it is, i've been promised, in fab condition). I live in Lake Havasu City, AZ, so it's pretty much always perfect scooter weather and a ton of residents drive buggy's, harleys, scooters and even golf carts around town. I'm a petite girl... 105 lbs maybe soaking wet and not much in the way of muscles, and I've driven a scooter exactly once when i was 16 in a gated community. The scooter topped out at about 15 mph. Having said all that, I'm flat broke and trapped without any transportation and this seems like the answer to a lot of prayers. What do y'all think?? Is it a good deal? A good scooter? Fun? And do you think a newbie rider can handle it ok? It's not too much for me, is it? Anything I should know, do, look out for, buy or make a deal breaker?

Basically, any thoughts and/or info would sure be welcomed! Im excited about this. I think it's gonna be a lot of fun. But i'm not a teenager... I'm 43 and I'm a bit nervous! Not to mention, I don't wanna make a bad choice. It's gonna take all i got to scrape the cash together, get it registered and insured (and of course, the repairs, which I'm told won't be more than about $200 if that for the new carb and battery... and another friend has told me he's worked on bikes and it probably only needs to be cleaned out, not replaced, so... again, thoughts?). In my current position, it's not money i can afford to gamble too heavily with.

Thanks!
MJ

PS Here's a picture of her!

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
can you handle it?  that is the most important  issue.
first, since your  new  to scooter riding  you need to  sit on the scooter
with both wheels on the ground  so take it off the stand.

when you get on the scooter can you touch the ground with both feet flat on the ground?

do not buy it if you can't touch the ground!
tipping the scooter to one side with one foot on the ground
 or tippy toeing the ground is not safe and the scooter will fall over
most likely when you come to a stop perhaps with you under it.
you also don't want to hop off each time you stop .

if your a small frame person  you need a older japanese scooter
like a 80's  honda spree or jog or a newer one with a 29" seat height.

also a 50cc might be best for you to learn on as they are not as heavy as a 150
plus you usually don't need  endorsement for a 50 depending on the state you live in

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

kammerer1

I'd say go for it. That seems like a good price, and from the picture the scooter looks great. I have the exact same scooter but black. I just move back into a similar climate as yours (Southern Nevada) and looking forward to riding it again.  I just replaced the battery for about $35. Found it on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WCPG6A/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure how much it costs to rebuild the carb. It may just have some old gas in it and need to be flushed out. These scooters are fairly easy to learn to ride. My advice is always wear a helmet, and drive like your invisible to other drivers, that is, assume that they can not see you. You should be fine.

Happy scooting!

The Professor

The R9 is a great bike for a first timer. I have been riding my R9 for 3 years in Las Vegas. The weather is about perfect for year round riding here as well.

MeloolahJayne

Thanks! Just moved outta Vegas... to someplace HOTTER! What was i THINKING?! good to know she can stand the heat!