TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Dies after I am on the road. DIY advice needed please.

Guest · 6 · 2132

tominbmore

all,

I bought a 2007 TGB r50x 50cc scooter last week. It had only 1900 miles on it, and was in pristine exterior condition. I rode it around for almost an hour for a test-run, and, based on that as well as the gut feeling of trustworthiness I got from the family selling it, I bought it for $600. I drove it home 70 miles to Baltimore, where I currently live. It rode like a beaut. He had removed the restricter, so I got 44 or so on the flats and 50-52 on downhills! No funny sounds or smells or smoke. No revving issues, no rust, no loose parts.

But despite this perfect looong drive, the next evening, with a full tank of unleaded and 3/4 tank of oil (separate of course), when I rode the scooter in town I started experiencing problems getting full gas to the engine... or so it seemed to me [Full disclosure: I know ZILCH about how even simple scooter engines work]. Suddenly it was hard to get the max speed above 30 or low 30s on flats, and it took a while to even get it there. The throttle was simply not generating the full thrust I had felt while on that 70-mile country road ride.

Also: When I idled, the rpm seemed to randomly fluctuate, seemingly for no reason. I assumed this was not common.
Also: It seemed, to my novice perception, that the scooter engine noise was a bit pinched and noisy as I drove and was stopped.

Finally: It actually started to shut down while i was riding. This happened once, then a second and third time. Each time there was a full tank of gas and almost-full engine oil. In each case I was able to start the engine up again, but after maybe 1000 feet it would cut off. It went like this: initially, a sharp reduction in fuel to the engine as I tried to twist the handlebar throttle; then a quick reduction in speed, then he lights on the dash and the engine itself would simply conk out.

I would LOVE any smart and detailed input you all could provide. I'm willing to try various things to see what is the matter. Someone elsewhere said I ought to start with the spark plug, then check the air filter to see if it is clean. That seems simple enough. But if it gets to things like fuel filter, "choke," cleaning or even removing the carb, etc, I confess I am WAY out of my depth.

I would like to (1) learn the basics of how the two-stroke scooter engine system works, and (2) see if there is some DIY way I can figure out what is wrong here, then fix it myself.

Thoughts? A catch-all website, book, video, etc, is one thing that could help (I seem to be getting random sites that attack only parts of my issue).

Very grateful in advance!

Edit: Let me also add that it is of course possible that the seller (who was an amazingly nice and decent man aling with his wife and teenage son) COULD have been hiding an internal and remitting issue. I can't tell.

But what is odd is that I rode 70+ miles home from his place to mine right after I bought it. and only THEN, the next evening, did the scooter start acting up. Maybe the problem is arriving now for the first time, and I am having seriously bad luck; maybe it is coming now, for the first time, specifically BECAUSE of this very long ride (the seller told me he has taken it out only once a month the past two years since his elder son went off to college). Maybe the problem was there before and the seller likely knew, and he rolled the dice that it would not show up either when I did the 45-minute pre-sale test ride or on the 70-plus mile ride home after money exchanged hands... I just dont know enough about engines or symptoms. But it sure is odd that it acted up and conked out only after I got back.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
hey ,glad you made it.
 since this is a new scooter to you  you should..
 first check out the manuals at the bottom of the
forum  home page....then clean& drain  everything
 air filter element, drain the tank & carb and of course a new plug
 make sure its gaped  to specs.
 and make sure the oil pump is working by opening the bleed screw
 when you get the motor running.
 when all that has been done  we'll have a better idea of what it is and
narrow the possible issues.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

tominbmore

Tx Harry!

please disregard if I sent you multiple PMs on the other site. I didnt think the message was being sent.

I would love to try all these things.

However, I've never done any of them. If I look at the manuals you mention will I be able to easily do the checklist you mention.  I could likely replace a spark plug, but Im gonna assume I would need to be walked through something like cleaning and draining filters and the carburetor itself.  Will these manuals point me that way?

Thank you very much for lending me support, man.

tominbmore

Final question, sorry:

which of those manuals works for my 2007 R50x 50cc? 

I'm going to dig right into the manual to educate myself.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
all righty then , for starters,do you have a metric set of sockets,wrenches
and a few assorted screwdrivers maybe a set of T handle allen wrenches?
go to harbor freight and buy some of the
pittsburgh brand chrome/vanadium  or if you have the $$ get craftsman .

the service manual only tell you what to do , and the parts manual how the parts fit together .
how to do it is on youtube .
 just search for "cleaning a 2 stroke carb " for example.
  the service manual for all the 50cc scooters is the same  its ths
first one at the top of the list . the links are at the bottom of the
forum home page

all the TGB 49cc motors are the same  with the r50x having a few small changes
but mostly in the final gears being a bit more aggressive  and the instrument 
panel & wiring.
so settings  like the plug gap / belt wear limit  etc. are the same on all TGB scooters

oilyhans

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:01:30 AM by harry »
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

tominbmore

Thanks Harry!!

I am pretty sure I have those tools.  My roommate is pretty well stocked.  I will be working through all of this tomorrow and Sunday. I'll check to see what he has.  I appreciate all of your thoughtful advice, man.

I will work through the manual(s), see how everything works together, then start the process of looking at spark plug, air filter, carb, etc.  I'll take your advice and look at youtube vids too, great idea!

t.