TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Speed Restrictor

Guest · 14 · 12448

songwright

I've decided to buy a Key West scooter based on all the good things I've heard.  The dealer wants $80 to remove the brass restrictor ring, saying the warranty will be voided if he isn't the one to do it.  My question is:  How hard is it to remove this ring?  Warranty issues aside, can someone with average mechanical skills do it?  Thanks!

rjbosco

I'm not sure your dealer has it quite right.  If your bike is a 2006 or newer, de-restricting it may void your warranty no matter who does it.  For more info, go to the General Discussion category and look for the thread related to "kind of quiet around here."  You'll see a posting from the president of Cobra Sales (the importer of TGB scooters).

sixstring2slim

I agree with jrbosco above, anybody that takes off the spacer is voiding the Warranty for sure!   Save it and put it back on,  if you ever have to have warranty work   I own a TGB "Key West" a 2007, that is de-restricted...   It is not hard at all to remove the spacer once you have the right tools and time to take off the tranny case and then remove the variator and then you will see the brass spacer.  Take off the spacer and put the variator back on and close up the case...  Hold on to your hat, cause my "Key West" is a handful now!  I still use the stock exhaust and carb...  it tops out at 47-48 mph and gets there like know other stock 49cc that I have had or seen...  Good Luck with the Scoot Bru...  sS[/b]

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
best bet is to remove the restrictor after the 150mile breakin for the scooters sake.

one thing about the warranty
no scooter company will give a long warranty(like the
2year that comes with cobra/peirspeed)
unless they are confident that no one will really need it, thats
because its a quality product.

as a dealer for 2 brands of scoots besides TGB
most(75%) warranty work i do is right out of the box when
 i prep a scooter. its rare for a customer to bring one in for work.

as far as the restrictor's goes  the're really there for US regs only.
the scooter is first designed  without any of our goverments restrictons
 then they put in the ring and use a limited cdi for  the US market.

but if your willing to go for more speed the way to go is to
remove the ring, while there replace the rolling weights with some
sliding weights go heavier than stock.
for even more speed
remove the stock cdi (it's limited to 7,500 rpm)  replace it with a unlimited cdi .
now get better insurance ,gear and motorcycle endorsement and pray that some cop won't
give you a ticket for modified equipment (remember its a moped limited to 30-35mph)
 email me for more details

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

rjbosco

I have a 2007 R50X.  I live in Virginia, which recently upped the speed limit for moped classification to 35 mph.  My scoot currently maxes out at 37 mph (indicated speed on speedometer), which is actually 31 mph (tested using GPS), on flat terrain/downhill.  Most of the time I'm really hitting around 29 mph max, but on hills it's much lower.  In the short run, I'd like to either (a) tweak the performance to get to the 35 mph state limit so I can keep up with the cager traffic that is speeding on 30 mph roads, or (b) find additional torque to maintain speed on hills.  Will removing the brass ring achieve either of these objectives? 

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
short answer: 
yes, & do the weights too.

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

rjbosco

Oilyhans:

I had my dealer do what they characterized as a Level I performance upgrade.  Need to confirm all the details but I know it involved removing the brass ring and adjusting the carb.  I get about 5 mph more on the top end, which still qualifies it as a moped in VA (just barely).  Sounds like the next steps would be be replacing the roller weights and putting in an unrestricted CDI.  I guess the last step would be replacing the exhaust.  I won't do those things until I get my motorcycle endorsement (taking the MSF course this weekend).

I think you said in an earlier post that TGB sells an unrestricted CDI for most 50 cc models for $40.  Is it available for the R50X?  Also, which set of roller weights would you suggest and what is the price?

Thanks.

tgbkeywest

Oilyhans,

please contact me to discuss upgrade possibilities for my TGB Key West....or provide a way to call you?  Thanks!

nakane

Instead of purchasing a new unrestricted CDI part can't I just snip a wire or must I buy the unrestricted CDI part?

I heard if I snip the brown wire it'll unrestrict it...

if someone could please shed some light on this that'd be great.

thanks  ;D

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

mizzle88

the restrictor ring voiding the warranty seems like a big grey area. a lot of people having been saying it will void the warranty for sure, and yet the dealer i bought mine from had already removed the ring when we bought it new and still gave me a 2 yr warranty. i would assume he removes it because it is easier to sell a moped that goes fast. either way, it is easy to do and just save it and put it back on if you ever need it.

Camo608

I have a 06 tgb key west and want to no how to get the brass ring off

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
take off the side cover
remove the nut on the pulley that is closest to the front of the scooter
the nut is reverse threads!!!!
remove front half (fan)of pulley

see the ring and slide it off
while your there put in a set of 7gr sliders in the variator
button it up and ride!!!!

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

Camo608

Thanks what can i use to stop it from moving