TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Starting Issue, 2007 model

Guest · 7 · 2993

tominbmore

Hi all,

I have a question about why my 2007 (I think) TGB r50x wont start.  I tried to start 'er up after the winter, remembering that in November she wouldn't start, and not knowing then either what was the cause.  The old problem had been that, (1) the scooter never would start via the ignition key, and (2) it used to be starting fine via kick start, but that by November it wasnt working that way either.  As a noob, I tried looking through the forum and manuals, mainly getting frustrated by what I did not know.

Now, after the winter, I noticed the problem was even worse.  When I tried to start via ignition, the engine turned over VERY slowly, and then not at all.  I noticed that the battery just kept losing its charge even though I kept also plugging it into the trickle charger.  So, I replaced the battery.  After doing that, I noticed that the fuse had burned out (probably because of the installing of new battery?), so I went ahead and replaced that as well.  This made a noticeable difference -- when I turned the key the engine properly turned over at full speed, no lagging or sluggishness.  But alas, no start.

I did manage to start the scooter via kick start, after maybe the third try, and kept 'er running for a good five minutes, revving and idling, and checking my air/fuel screw to make sure it wasn't completely out of whack.  I then took 'er for a ten-minute drive, with ZERO problems on the ride (no bogging down, no cutting out, etc.), BUT when I got back and tried to kick start 'er again, no luck at all, even after several tries.  Thinking I might have flooded the engine, I waited for 10 minutes or so, then tried to kick start again, and still nothing.

So, I feel a hunch that some part of the electrical chain of command before the spark, is to blame.  (For example, I have heard here and elsewhere that at some point, maybe 2006 or 2007, the R50x had stator issues, where they had to be replaced.  Could just be a bad or intermittent stator.)

I also suspect that there might be a SEPARATE issue only to do with the ignition start, as I spent all summer last year, my first months with this second-hand scooter, being able to start it by kick start but NOT with the ignition key.

Anyway, I'd love to hear suggestions on what you think I should try next.  Feel free to ask me whatever questions you want to help me diagnose my issue. 
It starts with checking the spark plug, some thing I have never done because I still haven't figured out how to get a socket wrench with an attachment that can reach the bolt around the plug, which is deeply recessed inside some black plastic housing at the front of the motor.  So... if anyone has tips on HOW I can get in deep to get a spark plug bolt untightened, I would love to hear it! Specifically, which size AND length of socket is needed, if anyone has this exact year and scooter. :)

PS: I have all the manuals already.

Tx for reading!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:11:51 AM by harry »

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
most socket sets have a  plug socket that comes with it..

bad starting is  usually
a bad/weak  battery.
bad/old/water  fuel.
bad connection or faulty kill switch
bad brake lever switch (try the  right side)
 maybe  a stator issue  however if the battery is getting charged
 or the lights get brighter when revving   its ok.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

tominbmore

Thanks Harry!

I'll try to start my scoot in the evening to see how much the headlights are bright (or dim), as per your tip about bright lights meaning that the stator probably isnt bad.

My ratchet set arrives today, so tonight I can get the spark plug out, give it a look-see, and run tests on it.

Another question for you: Two weeks ago I bought a new, good-quality battery to replace the old one that was losing charge continually.  I charged it up to 12.9/13 volts at a non-load reading.  But only one week later the non-load reading is at just 12.4, which I understand is below where a good battery should be.  I'll trickle charge it tonight, but I thought I'd ask you if you think anything other than the battery might be causing that -- like the stator not giving it enough charge??  Or is this just normal for a scooter that hasnt been riden for more than 5 minutes since it was purchased two weeks ago?

tx!

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
those tiny batteries can lose a volt a moth
 also if you do not charge a battery right it will
have very little cranking power and will die very soon

correct way to charge a battery is to make sure the battery is warm
(i put them in a sunny window of my truck or shop and wait until
they are warm to the touch)
 put in the electrolyte and let the battery sit for 20-30 mins before
connecting the charger..!!
 if you don't you will only get a surface charge and not the deep charge you want,
causing voltage drops and the need to charge a lot.

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

tominbmore

put in the electrolyte and let the battery sit for 20-30 mins before
connecting the charger..!!
 if you don't you will only get a surface charge and not the deep charge you want,
causing voltage drops and the need to charge a lot.

oilyhans

Great tip about the "sunny window!"

What is electrolyte?  I know I get them out of Gatorade, but didn't know that when i trickle charge I needed to add anything. I mean, I filled up the battery with the correct fluid when i first bought it, but I think you're referring to something different.

Tx harry

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
battery acid is a electrolyte

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph