TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

kinda quite around here

harry · 15 · 9115

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
hi guys,
just became a TGB dealer a few weeks ago...
 now i'm looking for the instructions for derestricting these scoots
KeyWest & Sunset50

So where is everybody???

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

John

• Administrator
Hi Harry, welcome!  Glad to see ya, it was getting pretty lonely aroud here.  ;D  Grats on the new dealership!  Don't want to derail your post, want to tell us about your dealership and how you got into it in another thread?  It would be cool to hear about it.

Wish I knew the answer to your question.  Anyone out there know?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:07:42 PM by John »

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
hey john,
 yeah a new thread  the more posts the better!!

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

Stevo

Dont know if all TGB's are the same but I know the R50X has an electronic rev limiter, which can be disabled by removing pin 5 or cutting it (brown wire) from the CDI unit. Theres also a restrictor in the form of a small brass shim/washer in the CVT, removal of that will allow the scooter to reach top gear and give it a bit more top end speed.

jsorvik

I am excited to have a TGB forum. . . I will try to pass the word out that it is here!!!

Bill Peirce

hi guys,
just became a TGB dealer a few weeks ago...
 now i'm looking for the instructions for derestricting these scoots
KeyWest & Sunset50

So where is everybody???

oilyhans

There are two ways to derestrict the 50 scooters. Since you are a new dealer, please call Ed at 770-423-2827 and he can tell you more.  Our 2006 and newer bikes have to meet the EPA/CARB rules and it's illegal to derestrict them.  If you do, it's for Off Road Use Only (racing) and voids the warranty.

The older bikes just have a wire to cut on the CDI. But the newer bikes have a spacer in the clutch that needs to be removed.  Ed can explain it better.

In either case, check your state laws before destricting a 50. In some states, a bike that goes over 30 MPH has to be titled as an MC and ridden with a motorcycle endorsement.

Welcome to the PEIRSPEED/TGB family.

- Bill

rjbosco

Hey Bill.

Thanks so much for your support of the site.  I wanted to clarify something you mentioned about the ramifications of derestricting 50cc bikes.  I understand the need to register the bike as a MC if you derestrict it (and that you need a MC endorsement).  I also understand that dealers should not be selling 50cc bikes deristricted.  However, do I understand you correctly that if a bike owner derestricts a 2007 50cc bike (and registers it; gets a MC endorsement) he is still breaking the law (federal EPA regs)? 

Rod

Bill Peirce

Hey Bill.

Thanks so much for your support of the site.  I wanted to clarify something you mentioned about the ramifications of derestricting 50cc bikes.  I understand the need to register the bike as a MC if you derestrict it (and that you need a MC endorsement).  I also understand that dealers should not be selling 50cc bikes deristricted.  However, do I understand you correctly that if a bike owner derestricts a 2007 50cc bike (and registers it; gets a MC endorsement) he is still breaking the law (federal EPA regs)? 

Rod

Not all states make you get an MC license for faster 50's, so check with your state.

It's my underdtanding that modifying any onroad motor vehicle's engine, exhaust or tranny that might affect the emissions, is breaking the rules. But as you know, many people modify their personal vehicles.  Is it breaking the law?  Do the people modifying their cars worry about the EPA rules?

- Bill

TGB_Rider

I have a question for you Bill. Are the Outback 425C's restricted in any way? It seems to me it should have more power. My sister has a 350 Honda that has a good bit  more power than my Outback. I am wasteing my time even thinking about doing a wheelie. Should I jet it? I know the Can Am has much bigger jets in it, and it is the same carb. The Mikuni BSR33. Thanks.

Bill Peirce

I have a question for you Bill. Are the Outback 425C's restricted in any way? It seems to me it should have more power. My sister has a 350 Honda that has a good bit  more power than my Outback. I am wasteing my time even thinking about doing a wheelie. Should I jet it? I know the Can Am has much bigger jets in it, and it is the same carb. The Mikuni BSR33. Thanks.

It's not restricted, other than having to meet EPA?CARB.  That means we have to put a carb and exhaust on the units that are pretty lean.  If you want to play around with jets and exhaust I'm sure you might be able to get more power. Let us know.

During our testing we wanted to be able to beat the Eiger 400 auto. The Outback is pretty fast compared to the Eiger and Honda 420.

- Bill

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
Hi Bill,
You have a real nice products in your Pierspeed line.
& I'm glad to be on board.

Yes i had a talk with Ed about 6 weeks ago, thank you.
It's too bad that you guys droped the Sunset, they sold fast for me
& I was thinking about getting one as my  personal scooter.

How's those Madass 50's with the manual tranny?
What's the top speed on them? Are they in stock yet?
How do they compair to the Timberline Madass (same bike?).

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

Bill Peirce

Hi Bill,

oilyhans

If you want some Sunset's, you can special order some and we'll put them in our next production schedule.

The MadAss 50 4-speed is limited to 30 MPH, but the speed controller is easy to get to and with a twist of a screw it will go about 36-38.  There are hundreds of after market parts for the MadAss 50 engines to make them go faster.

The MadAss 50's leave the factory in a few days. I believe the first 3 shipments are sold out, so contact Mitch to get on the list for the 4th shipment.

I'm not sure about Tomberline's products, sorry.

- Bill

TGB_Rider

Bill, I am trying to get parts for my quad. My local dealer doesn't feel the need to return any phone calls. I have tried for 3 weeks to get them to order me wheel bearings. Now I also need brake pads and a right side front hub. I am not sure, but I just don't think that my bearings and brakes should have gone out this fast. My quad had 12 miles on the odometer when I bought it and that was in April. Now it reads 155 miles. I know that these items would have been under warranty but not sure about it since I snorkeled the quad. As far as the front hub, the wheel bearing come completely apart and the thing ended up grinding the hub down considerably. I just tried contacting a dealer in Georgia about my replacement parts, hopeing to hear back tomorrow. It's sad when I have to go through a dealer in Georgia when I have a dealer within 40 miles. The name is Advantage Auto Plex in Farmerville La. From my experience with them, I would not recommend anyone doing business with them. I will never again. Anyway, I am done venting. Hopefully, I will be able to get the parts from this place in Georgia. Thanks

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
Hi Bill,

oilyhans

If you want some Sunset's, you can special order some and we'll put them in our next production schedule.

The MadAss 50 4-speed is limited to 30 MPH, but the speed controller is easy to get to and with a twist of a screw it will go about 36-38.  There are hundreds of after market parts for the MadAss 50 engines to make them go faster.

The MadAss 50's leave the factory in a few days. I believe the first 3 shipments are sold out, so contact Mitch to get on the list for the 4th shipment.

I'm not sure about Tomberline's products, sorry.

- Bill

Excelent , is there a quanity for the special order?

I think the MadAss will be hot seller in  the 20somethingpushing30  age group .
at least thats who seem to be asking me about it.
 thanks for the info Bill

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

TGB_Rider

This weekend I am going to put a bigger air box snorkel on my quad. Then, I am going to play with the jets. Currently, I have the exhaust spark arrestor removed, which leaned it out a little. I am thinking about replacing the muffler with either a glasspack or a tractor muffler. Then snorkeling the exhaust up a bit. I am sure the reason the bike acts like it is bogging down when I get deep is because the muffler is under water. I also would like to get a little more low end torque out of it. I have heard of this mod to the cvt called a coop45 mod. It has to do with placing a washer in there in order to push the fixed face out a little. I am thinking about trying that. Any suggestions? Thanks