TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Why can't I go 38mph? I can go only 37 or 39!!!

Guest · 4 · 3193

RushNatU

I recently purchased an r50x and have noticed that the speedometer will not read 38mph.  It skips from 37 to 39 along with being terribly inaccurate at higher speeds.  Was TGB smoking crack when they programmed the speedo or what?  Kind of annoying and not consistent with TGB quality.  I had a cheap Chinese scooter that had a more accurate speedo.  Whats the deal with this and is there a fix? (prob not).  Anyone else have this problem?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:21:23 PM by RushNatU »

rjbosco

I've checked out a number of web sites specific to scooters and it appears that all the speedos are optimistic.  The best ones are about 5-6% high; the R50X is at the poor end of the scale at 15-20% high.  I'm baffled as to why this is so -- if car speedos were off this much there'd be a recall.  In addition, I have not seen one post that suggests there is a calibration or other fix that can be done.

RushNatU

It also sucks because your odometer is off by that much as well making the value of your scooter go down quicker than it should.  If you factor that the speedo is off by 15-20% like you said then the actual odometer mileage should be that much less.  Something to think about.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
perhaps scooter mfg's just use one size fits all speedos
add the wide range of quality or lack of.
then they mess with the wheel and tire size
all that factored in i'm surprised they get within 5%

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide