TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

2005 TGB Laser 49cc: mods/derestricting

Guest · 31 · 25689

theradpotato

Hello,

Last week I bought a 49cc scooter. I'm the 3rd owner; the first owner was an old lady, who crashed the bike one time. A scooter dealer rebuilt it and sold it to another couple, who sold it to me. I paid $350 for it.

I never expected a perfect bike, because I wanted to pay as little as possible. I'm not disappointed... it has some relatively minor external flaws but it seems to run pretty well. I've never ridden a scooter or motorcycle so I'm having fun with it.

The only real problem is that it's a bit hard to start... it seems like the engine isn't getting enough fuel when it starts. A lot of times I will start it, and the engine will turn and seem to run for a few seconds, but it is not responsive to my attempt to give it some gas, and it stalls. After 10-15 tries it usually starts, and once it's revved up for a while it won't stall any more, and it will be easier to re-start (just 2-3 attempts).
Any idea of what I might check, to see if it would start more reliably?

Also, I'm interested in derestricting it, and doing some simple mods. I just need it to go a bit faster. Usually on flat ground it will take me to 37 mph or so (I'm 180 lbs), but that's according to the speedo on the bike, which apparently runs a bit high. I'd like to be able to use it for commuting to campus, and delivering pizza, so if it would take me to 45 mph consistently that would be perfect.
I've read something about removing what looks like a brass wedding ring from behind the variator assembly. I tried to do it today, got the kick starter module off, and 2 of the 3 allen bolts off, but the 3rd wouldn't come off and it stripped. Should I be able to see this ring from the side? Do you think the dealer took it off when they rebuilt it?

I'd really appreciate any tips for some things I could do myself, for cheap, to get just a bit more out of this scooter.

Please note that I am not a mechanic, and while I have some basic tools and I'm not an idiot, I have little knowledge of engines and comments like "clean out the carb" or "get new roller weights" on their own are pretty useless for me, because I don't know where the carb is, or what roller weights are, or how I should go about doing anything to them.

Thanks a ton in advance for any advice.

-Joe

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
hey Joe,
Ok the ring is in the variator assembly which you started to remove.
the weights are also inside of the variator . you will get best results from
using sliding weights .
to remove the variator you need to remove the 3 allen screws
then the nut below the plate held on by the 3 screws
NOTE: the nut is reverse threads so set your impact wrench to forward(on) to remove it.

on most of the TGB scooters the main jet is undersized a #60  replace it with a #65
for more power. you will find the carb under the seat bucket which is removed
by taking off 4 -10mmm bolts ,2 by the seat latch and the others on the bottom of the
seat towards the front of the bucket .

the air box is seen from the side the kick lever is on and is attached to the carb
clean the air filter with some gas and re oil it with a mix of 30% oil(30w) and 70% gas

make sure your battery is fully charged for easier starting
you may want to also replace the spark plug.
 if you need parts let me know...

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

theradpotato

Hello Oilyhans,

Thanks for your reply!
Do you mind a few more questions?

I stripped one of the allen screws. How should I get it off now? I was thinking of using something like vice-grips. The trouble for me is that the variator spins while I'm trying to undo the screws.

What do the weights do?

Do you think this #65 jet would work? (I mean, would any #65 not work?) Is the price reasonable?
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=25

Thanks for the advice, and describing where to find things. I'll try cleaning the carb and the air filter out, and replacing that #60...

Do you sell parts online somewhere?

A couple more things...

I did some research on roller weights. It's my understanding that you can either sacrifice top speed to gain acceleration, or sacrifice acceleration to gain top speed. I can't really do either at this point... are sliding weights different?

My oil drips out a bit, onto the kickstart cover. The previous owner told me that it drained there when it was too full, but I'm starting to wonder if there's not just a leak?

Thanks again,
-Joe
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:16:58 PM by theradpotato »

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
you should use a impact wrench for the allen head screws
then you don't have the moving variator problem
now your in deep do-do if not careful ,you want to be real careful and not
break off the fins.
a large easy out might do the job .

sliders are better than rollers and last much longer
faster take off and better hill climbing . they claim up to 20% better

you sure the oils not coming from the carb drain?
its right above the side cover.
if your talking about the
oil reservoir  they only need to be filled about 3/4 full.
check the hose that comes out of it for a leak and all the small feeders
are tight & clamped.

the link you posted was for a 2 stroke main jet for the carb
you have         
my 2 part stores:
http://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart/
http://whidbeyparts.com/
you need special TGB parts? email me

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

theradpotato

Hello oilyhans,

OK, I'll see if anyone I know has an impact wrench or easy out.

So with sliders I'd still be sacrificing max speed, right?

The oil could indeed be coming from the carb drain. I guess I didn't know it needed to drain. I just noticed that more oil was leaking after I filled the oil reservoir to the top. I'll check those connections.

The link I posted would work on my scooter though, right? It is a 2-stroke. Or should I email you for a special TGB part?
That's funny, I didn't realize it was your store before I posted the link.

Thank you,
-Joe

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
So with sliders I'd still be sacrificing max speed, right?
Joe  sorry for the delay  in responding..
no if you choose the right sliders you shouldn't loose anything
in fact when we put in 5gr  i see a faster take off and a bit higher speed

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

theradpotato

Hello oilyhans,

OK. So, I ordered a #65 jet from another website, because it was cheaper than yours. I guess it won't be cheaper in the long run, because it was the wrong part.

This evening I opened everything up, eventually found the carb and was able to disconnect everything and get it out of there. I opened it up, found the existing #60 jet, took it out, and tried to put in my new one, but the diameter of the threaded part is just too small.

Anyway, I took the old jet and saw a little bit of obstruction, so i blew through it and it looked better... put everything back together, and the scooter seemed to run at least as well as it did before. I was proud of myself and slightly surprised that it ran after I threw everything back together, haha.

I noticed that the 2 tubes coming out of my air filter (the ones that don't go to the carb) were attached to... nothing. The smaller black rubber one i was able to place in position, but I'm confused about where the bigger one should go. here are links to a couple of pictures.

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/81353954.jpg/
http://img40.imageshack.us/i/49274812.jpg/

So your final recommendation are 5g sliding weights?

oh! one other thing. I noticed that when I turn the grip all the way, the throttle doesn't open as far as it can... what I mean is, i'll turn the grip all the way, but then I can still reach in there and turn the throttle another 45-90 degrees... is that normal?

Thank you!

-Joe

Pillen

That hose is a breather hose and doesn't go anywhere. It fits in the clip on the left side. If you need help finding the clip I will take a pic. of mine and show you. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:24:11 AM by Pillen »

jd

OK. So, I ordered a #65 jet from another website, because it was cheaper than yours.

So let me get this straight:  oilyhans provided you with a ton of FREE information on your bike, and you took your business elsewhere because you saved a couple of bucks?  What a POS.

That's gratitude for you.

See how much additional help you get on this site.

jd

theradpotato

I wasn't aware that I was obligated to buy from his store because he gave me advice. I was just being honest, I went somewhere else because it was cheaper; $10 plus shipping for such a small part seemed like too much. But my stinginess hurt me in the end; it ended up costing me more because it was the wrong part, that's what I was trying to communicate.

I am indeed thankful for all the help and I plan to buy from his store.

Pillen

"oh! one other thing. I noticed that when I turn the grip all the way, the throttle doesn't open as far as it can... what I mean is, i'll turn the grip all the way, but then I can still reach in there and turn the throttle another 45-90 degrees... is that normal?"
It sounds like you need to tighten it up a bit. There is a screw thats below the head panel that you tighten.

theradpotato

Great -- head panel meaning the panel that you would take off to change the headlight bulb, etc. ?

Thank you

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
Dude(theradpotato) ,
 FYI: i make a woping $4 on a jet and that $4 is to pay for
the time i spend making the jet order and what i have to answer in
the forums , emails and phone calls. not to mention removing
 the item from stock, packaging and taking the order to the post office.
my price is way too cheap for all that ,yet i do it to help guys like you
who are still new to scooters and need some guidance.

don't misunderstand me i am happy to help anybody and i appreciate
any sales that come my way and i'm only cluing you in so you can gain
some perspective from a retailer's point of view.

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

theradpotato

Oilyhans,

Sorry for being insensitive about that. I guess I thought that giving advice on the forum was just a side thing for you, not part of your work day.

From my perspective, a jet looked to me like a small little bolt that would cost 20 cents at the hardware store. As I have mentioned, I know little about engines. So, it was hard to imagine paying over 10 dollars for it, but maybe I'm just uneducated and that's a typical cost for that part. I think I understand a bit better now about the whole process that you go through to sell the parts.

As I said before, I plan to use your store for purchasing parts in the future, because I believe you will have the correct parts for my scooter.

Thanks,

-Joe

Pillen

"Great -- head panel meaning the panel that you would take off to change the headlight bulb, etc. ?"
Not sure of the year but it should be the same as mine. Its the panel that covers the "handle bars" where the speedometer is. The screw is right next to the throttle grip.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:55:00 PM by Pillen »