TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Putting it back together after weight change

Guest · 10 · 3215

pauld581

When I go to put the variator/forward pulley back together after changing out the weights, do I need a torque wrench to tighten the reverse threaded nut? What about Loctite (blue)? Everything I have seen talks about being careful taking things apart when you change the weights/clutch springs/etc, but they don't talk too much about putting it back together.

Thanks,
Paul

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
to install usually i set the impact wrench to low and have the compressor set at 90psi
and to remove i turn it up to max air. --remember to hand tighten the nut before
using the air tool!!

i don't use thread lock on that nut but i do on a lot of things

be sure to put in the sliders like the picture on the back of the package.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

pauld581

10-4 on the putting back together. I called you about my sliders possibly being too small...now I have another problem:
In every single thing I have read or seen about taking the clutch apart you are told to be careful because it could fly apart at you when you remove the retention nut....well, with me, I removed the nut and the thing WON'T COME APART. It is totally stuck together and I am trapped between wanting to "help" it along and my fear that it will finally fly apart and hurt me, or the clutch, or something else. What can I do?

I have to say, this is getting somewhat frustrating. This simple bit of upgrading  is heading into day three and I haven't even looked at the carb yet.

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
what do you mean the sliders are too small ?

look closely ,the clutch maybe 'twisted' and binding on some
threads of the shaft

put the driven pulley assembly in the press and tighten it up
with about 1/8-1/4" play or just slightly loose 
 that way if the spring goes pop it will only go a short distance
and not get out of control.watch your fingers!
 you may need to clamp the bottom pulley
half to the bottom of the press and all to a table so you can get some
leverage on the clutch.  the clamp doesn't have to be super tight, use care
that you don't deform the pulley  . 

generally it is 1.5 to 2hrs or so for sliders and springs in the shop
with the lift , air tools and of course doing it a number of times helps too.

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

pauld581

Good advice on the clutch- will try in a bit. When I put the sliders in and put things back together I rotated the variator and you could clearly hear the sliders rattling around. I know they are supposed to move some- it's what they do- but this did not sound right. I took it apart and put back together and, same thing, so I examined the old ones compared to the new and the new ones are clearly narrower by a mm or so. It is quite apparent and I strongly believe is the reason for the rattling.  By "narrower" I mean that there is space on the sides of the tracks/ramps. The old one have just enough space to move; the new ones more so.

I have no idea what to do about the sliders.

I know I'm a newb and I'm no mechanic, but I am competent and so far nothing has gone right, and I don't think it's necessarily my fault, i.e., the sliders being narrower, and the clutch that's supposed to fly apart not coming apart at all! It's just frustrating. I have been here before and it will pass.

Thanks for clutch tip.

pauld581

Welp. I got the clutch apart, and wouldn't you know it, there was another hitch! This one isn't too big, I don't think, but I would love to hear that it's okay from someone with more experience. The old main spring is slightly wider than the new MRP 1500 one. Rather than describe the issue I have uploaded some photos... that collar doesn't appear to be particularly crucial to the clutch, and the new spring fits over the pully spindle correctly, so for right now I have put the new springs in the clutch itself (no problem but man are those springs stiff!), and put the new main spring in without that collar. I then used the press to get it back together and hand tightened the nut, and that's where I stopped.

I have also uploaded a picture of the slider issue- take a look.

Paul

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
there is no real issue with the sliders, that is  the size you use
17x12     some guys use 16x13  but there is no real difference
i've installed both .

fyi;; i think the hardest part of the job is replacing the little
clutch springs

you can safely omit the collar with no issues.
many scooters don't  have it.

now quit fooling around and get that scooter on the road!!! ;)

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

pauld581

So I got it all back together, with the new sliders and springs, etc, and took it out for a couple of short test rides.
I can say definitely that it is quicker off the line, without nearly as much of a lag from the time you twist the throttle to the time you get moving. It's not instantaneous- you can hear that it needs to spin up before you get going, but it is much quicker. The top speed seems to be about the same or perhaps a mile or two faster than after the exhaust upgrade, so I am still at about 43-45 mph, though on a downhill the speedo went up to 50 and no further, though it was apparent that I was going faster and faster. I would estimate perhaps 55 mph.

I am getting a little inconsistency with the top speed on a flat;  once or twice it hit 45+ , seeming rather easily, but most of the time it was right in that 43-45 and no higher. Not sure what that is, but maybe a jet upgrade will sort that out...?

For now the tranny is better, though time will tell if I did this right or not. My suspicion is if it didn't go wrong right away then I probably did okay.

Tomorrow I am going to try and rejet with a 75. Harry, I would really appreciate it if you could post your procedure for removing the carb and doing the rejet, if you have time. The TGB manual differs from the seat bucket removal procedure I have seen elsewhere and mentioned to you.

Incidentally, your clutch press is brilliant. I don't know if I could have got that heavy spring in by myself without it!

Paul

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
so ok , the carb is easy
remove the air box.
disconnect the hoses you can get to.
remove carb.
remove any hoses left.
disconnect the t.cable  by unscrewing the cap
on the tower slide out the slide, keep it clean!!!
pour out gas from fuel port.
unscrew the 4 screws on the bottom of the carb that
hold on the bowl .
 remove the bowl , if it is stuck look carefully at the seam
between bowl and carb body , usually there is a small
cutout that you just get a small screwdriver in and pry.
you will see the main jet

elevation and the brand of pipe make the ball park guess
on the jet   . down here at sea level  i have a #75 in a BBK
with stock pipe.

my old man used to say 'use your head for more than to grow hair out of!'
i wear lots of hats , and have to be a creative thinker in many things i do
so making stuff like the press is just part of the creative process .

i'm a artist by trade last 37 years,  a master glassblower since '93
also i do the chemistry to color the glass for my special colors & luster glasses.
for fun i made computer programs that calculate  stuff like expansion
coefficients and the holy grail, calculating viscosity. 

i also built a small radio station for our little town and run it 24-7
its totally automated and i write computer code for programs that run the station.
one of the features is the live broadcast of the city council meetings.
also my friend & i are the techs for a FM station about 30miles  north.

when i'm not doing that ,i'm messing about with scooters .. opened the scooter
 shop in  2005 . last couple of days i've been dropping a  jog 90cc motor in a
jog 50cc scooter frame,,, i expect  close to 60mph , the whole deal will weigh 180lbs.

in the off season  like winter i do a lot of home construction or remolding , hardwood flooring,
tile work, concrete stains, drywall & texture, plumbing & electrical, roofs, framing,
foundations....wew ,, i'm tuckered out just writing  the list ,i think i need to go
lay down now

oilyhans

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:38:47 AM by harry »

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

pauld581

You lead quite an interesting life, Harry, and one that's not too different from mine.  In addition to teaching, I do PHP programming (only occasionally, these days) and print graphics advertisements for magazines, which is how I got into web stuff and then PHP.

Anyway, I got the jet changed, and went with the 75 jet. I am going to start a new thread to discuss tuning the carb.