TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Runability issues

Guest · 3 · 2538

blazer1313

So I finally replaced the stator and the CDI for my buddy's R50X. It started and ran but wouldn't idle well.  The service manual says nothing about initial fuel mixture screw spec or even what it's supposed to idle at??  What are those specs?

Also, where is the check valve on the output side of the oil pump.  If the scooter sits for any period of time you can find oil dripping out of the carb and can imagine fillng up my carb making the mixture incorrect for the next start.  Is the check valve in the oil pump or in the carburator?

It generally likes to only be kick started.. any common issues with not cranking fast enough with the electric starter?

This scooter has been anything but reliable...any help?

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
how i adjust the idle ;
1. when scooter is really warm,  after a 10min or more  warm up.
2. the idle on 2t's is usually about 1600-1800 rpm
HOWEVER  since i (and most  other people) really don't
have a way to measure the rpm  on every scooter that i service
and add the fact i don't trust any speedo or tach to be exact.
what you do is adjust it until the rear wheel just starts to move
when on the stand.
if that seems too fast back off the screw a bit.

rough running can be the carb needs cleaning
bad spark plug or plug cap
AND/OR bad fuel mix

which cdi did you put in?

the oil vales are sometimes leaky  usually its the cheaper chinese
scoots ,TGB's rarely have it
take the valve off and clean it well (soak then spray w/carb cleaner)

i have some TGB inline check valves let me know if you want one.

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

blazer1313

So per the manual adjust the air fuel mixture screw until it runs the smoothest and the highest RPM correct? Then back it down to 1600-1800 RPM and recheck for highest rpm with mixture screw?

Scooter has sat for more than a year.  I have already gone through the carb with our carb dip.  Its better but still seems like the electric cold start enrichener actuates too fast.  When cold the rpm spikes up for the first minute then drops down and goes to around 1000 RPM and chugs along and you might have to bump the throttle a little until it warms up 3 minutes later.  After the 3 extra minutes it smoothes out and I have it idling at 1800 (by tach) by just before the wheel spins.

I bought the stator and CDI from you per the OEM part numbers. 

One last thing, on most 2 strokes if you have oil spitting back through the carb when running, it usually means it has a broken reed.  I also have this.  The scooter has a total 32 miles on it? Is this normal?

The water adding battery that's in it has also sat for the year.  Now that I've added distilled water to it and let it trickle charge, it still eeems like its not holding a charge.  The manual shows that you need to charge it for 60 hrs when you first buy it and if its sat for more than a year.  What do you think?

Thanks