TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

How to drain the oil from TGB Laser R5i 49cc?

Guest · 8 · 5475

victory

I am trying to drain all of the oil from my TGB Laser R5i.  Where do I drain the oil from? 

Can anyone help me? 

Thanks very much in advance

victory

This issue is resolved.  I ended up taking off the seat making the oil repository visible.  Then I removed the oil repository by loosening 2 socket screws.  One socket screw was hidden, so I had to loosen the side panel so that I could unscrew the bolt.  From there it's very easy to pop the oil repository out to drain the oil, clean the repository, etc.. - and then put everything back together.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
by your first post i thought you wanted to change the gear oil.
just curious, why did you want to drain the injector reservoir?

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

victory

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, I have had to work through some problems after my bike was stored all winter.

My winterization process included placing the battery on a trickle charge and adding some stabilizer to the fuel tank.

Then after the bike was idle for 5 months I had a few problems.

First, the bike only started using the kick, and I wasn't real happy with the way it was idling, so I thought I would add some fresh gas and oil.  When I added the oil, I accidentally dropped a piece of plastic into the reservoir - so that is the reason I wanted to drain the oil. 

As for the gas, I just added a little seafoam to the tank, to see if that would be good enough.

Next, the scooter suddenly wouldn't start, so I replaced the spark plug and that fixed the starting problem.

Now I am faced with two issues. 

1.  The scooter only wants to start using the kick.  I do not understand because the battery is fully charged.

2.  The scooter idles fine for a long time, but then when I give it some juice it will sometimes die.

So now I am thinking of draining all gas - it's now a mix of last year’s gas/stabilizer and a touch of seafoam.

Then I've read where others have tried cleaning the carb, but I'm not quite sure where to find the carb or
what all needs to be cleaned?  The carburettor drain tube?  Not sure.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions for that or anything else, you could help save the day!

Thanks so much!

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
the starting issue usually is low battery level, bad/dirty ground connection(s),faulty brake switch.
start by checking the brake switch use the right lever and try to start the scooter.

put in some fresh fuel , though its usually not a problem . however if you
have a lot of ethanol where you live it attracts water  so add some heet or iso-heet.
drain the fuel bowl too. you might see water in the fuel filter.

the carb is under the seat bucket, you have to remove the 2 bolts by the
seat hinge and the 2 by the seat catch then lift out the bucket
but i would do the above fixes first and see how it goes
before the carb if you new at that kind of thing...

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

victory

Good news - after totally draining the gas tank - my bike is back in business!

This took care of the issue with the starter, so the bike starts automatically as opposed to using the kick.

My only area of concern now, is that I noticed after only a 10 minute ride that exhaust/rear tire area was extremely HOT!  This area of the bike never got this hot all of last year, and that was averaging
35 minute rides.  So I am not sure what to make of this? 

Will this just get better by itself?  Or does it typically run this hot the first few rides of the year?

Thanks as always for any feedback.

With great thanks,
Victory

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
if your too lean you will run hot.
if you didn't change any settings on the carb you might
look for a air leak, make sure the air box and carb clamps are tight.

what color is the plug? should be a med -dk chocolate brown if its looking
white or grey /brown its too lean.

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

victory

Hello,

Harry I really want to thank you for all of your feedback.    You have been of great help.   Since I am new to the forum, I am not sure if I should continue to respond to this message or start a new post all together, but hopefully all of my bike problems are almost over.

The latest is that I checked the cables/spark plug, and the exhaust is no longer crazy hot.  I think it is just about perfect.

I took the bike for a spin tonight.  15 minutes on way and 15 minutes on the way back.  On the way back there were two issues:  First when climbing a pretty steep hill, in mid climb the throttle became real quiet, almost like it was going to stop.  Then secondly, I made it up the hill and a bit further, but then the bike did stall, and I fired it back on ok.  I also noticed that typically when I let off the throttle (like when cornering) you usually can hear the bike making lots of sounds (from the exhaust area, etc..) but tonight that did not happen and the bike was quiet except when throttling.

So now I am wondering what else I could check?  Perhaps the air filter?  My bike has about 2400 miles on it.  Or do I need to re-adjust the spark plug again?  Or am I way off with my assumptions ;)

Ok thanks again so much for any feedback.   

Victory