TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

R50X suddenly has 'noisy' exhaust

Guest · 5 · 2699

DoodleBod

Hi!

My daughter has a completely standard (still restricted) 2010 R50X with just 800 miles on the clock. It's been absolutely fine since she bought it a few months ago, but last week it suddenly developed a really loud exhaust noise.

As far as I can tell, there are now exhaust gases coming out from the small 'stub' pipe which sticks out from the downpipe and points forwards towards the battery compartment. If I use my thumb to block the end of that stub pipe, the exhaust sound goes (more-or-less) 'back to normal'. I'd guess that some kind of plug / restrictor / screw(?) has fallen out of the end of that stub-pipe.

Can anyone confirm what is supposed to be in the end of that pipe? Apart from the missing component, the rest of the exhaust system appears to be in pretty near perfect nick, so I don't want to change it.

Is there a replacement part / stopper I can buy, or maybe I could just partly (or fully) block up the hole at the end of the stub pipe? Or would that cause some other problems...?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  :-)

Cheers,
Pete.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
i think there should be a hose connected to it,
might have come loose?

sounds like your the pit crew!  fyi; the part manuals can be a big help
and the service manuals are good to have
you will find links at the bottom of the forum home page.

oilyhans
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 07:35:29 PM by harry »
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

DoodleBod

Harry -

Many thanks for your quick reply!    :D

I've taken a look at those manuals and parts lists, but unfortunately they don't really match up to the UK-spec R50X which my daughter owns.

The parts lists for some models - such as the 'Delivery 50' - had a 'Euro 2' / catalyst spec alternative exhaust (muffler) with what looks like a small 'spigot' pipe which connects via rubber hose to the 'second air control assembly'. However there is nothing like that 'second air control assembly' on her scooter, and no are obvious signs that a hose was ever connected.

I'm uploading some photos of the pipe, in the hope that you (or another forum member) might be able to suggest what I might be able to try next...

Cheers!
Pete.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
yeah your right ,a bit different , the US model is sold
in California and it has real strict regs so they are all made that way.

just plug it up

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

DoodleBod

Harry -

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick a screw/bolt into the opening and hope that fixes it.  :-)

Cheers,
Pete.