TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

101R(s?) No spark - where should current come from on magneto wiring & how much?

Guest · 4 · 2862

russellbowden

I've got a TGB 101R, so the side of it says..(2006?)

I've been chasing an intermittent fault at idle and low RPM, I did have spark, but after taking the coil off and inspecting it anyway, I could no longer get any at all with or without plug, (yes the coil is re-attached to the body) after replacing the coil there is still absolutely zero coming from HT lead.. I've checked every plug at least 483 times each and can confirm there's Mcdefinitely nothing loose or accidentally unplugged..

I've been trying to measure the magneto's output, the guy at the bike shop said these magneto's have 2 sets of windings, one to make AC and one to make DC, one type of current to power the electrics and charging system, and one to power the ignition system, I can't remember which was which, but I guess the DC is to the coil? since there's a rectifier behind the dash. Can anyone confirm it's this way around and not AC to the CDI & coil?

The actual questions, and reason for this post is, which wires should I get current from? should it be AC or DC, and how much should I expect at cranking (not running) speed?

There's 5 wires coming from the general magneto area;
1 a blue one from an external pickup, which gives no voltage, either AC or DC with respect to earth or otherwise.
2 a black, which is earth. (connected to the body at the screw of the external pickup near termination of blue wire)
3 a yellow with red stripe 6VAC to earth, this shares a square plug with number 4.
4 a white with red stripe 5VAC to earth, this shares a square plug with number 3.
5 can't remember the colour, but like #3 and #4 comes from behind the magneto but seems to have no potential voltage to earth.

If anyone tells me to try google or the manual I'm going to injure myself..  :'( I've spent hours going through this site, searching google and reading the .pdf manual, even from different sources to try to get a better one, but none of them seem to be of much use, and the circuit diagram of the ignition system is totally unreadable.

I picked this scooter up an absolute steal at only $270 road legal but not running, fixed it and rode it for 2 or 3 days, then decided to make it run "better" and it's not run since.

I hope someone can help, I need this transport to get a job!
Thanks in advance everyone!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:45:34 AM by russellbowden »

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
welcome  Russell,
wow lots to answer ...
2004-2006  then they were renamed keywest.

i use a led on the coil or plug and crank the motor
it's better than looking for a spark.  Radioshack  has
test leds  with alligator clips on the end.

usually its the thing you just messed with,
perhaps its the coil wire or the cap is faulty.
or the cdi is bad , since the spark from the trigger coil
on the stator/magneto goes there first   then to the
coil.

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

russellbowden

Hi Harry, yep in the end it turned out to be the magneto windings, when I got the scooter a week ago the fan was loose, I tightened the bolts the other day while searching for the reason it was running like a bag of sh*t, which then mashed up the windings in the magneto due to being too long.. now I know why they hadn't been tightened properly to start with! I ended up just un-winding some wire to bypass and remove where possible the disrupted sections, then re-soldered the first bit of wire I found that actually completed the circuit (211 ohms all up on my dirt cheap chinese meter)
the windings no longer have their heatproof tape on them and the wire isn't doubled up and wound together for the last 30cm of the coil up until the terminal where it's soldered, but it seems to go so far, as long as the lack of heat proof tape doesn't cause it to eventually melt some of the windings' insulation it should be good.

Because of all the extra power the scooter now makes (lol) it's broken it's "new" belt after about 100km.. onto the next thing!

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
good deal that you sorted  it out...
let me know if you need any genuine TGB parts

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide