TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

2007 R9 aftermarket upgrades

Guest · 10 · 4844

unknownuser01

Well, I ended up pulling much of the plastics off of my scoot to get to the fuel filter. The reason I'm servicing is because a few minutes after starting, the engine starts to bog down and die while idling. I originally thought it wasn't getting enough fuel, so I figured the fuel filter probably needed replaced. Now that I've pulled the plastics off, I can see the fuel filter does need to be replaced. However, after doing some more research, I've learned that the "bogging" I have been experiencing may be engine flooding, and could be caused by the carburetor floats being improperly set. So, since I have to open the carb, I figured I might as well clean it and replace the jets.

Also, I want to switch to a pod air filter. From what I've read, I will need to replace the carb jets for that. The suggested jets for sea level were #38 idle and #122.5 main. Does anyone know exactly what type of jets are compatible?
Another issue with switching to a pod filter is the vacuum lines that run to and from the original airbox. One goes from the rear of the airbox to the rear of the CVT case, one goes from the front of the airbox to a "Y" joint, and one is simply a moisture catch. The one that goes to the "Y" joint splits off to a cylindrical fuel device that I can only assume is an emissions device, and the other end of the joint I have not yet investigated where it goes. My question is, do I need these hoses? If I don't, what do I do with where they connect? The cylinder I believe is an emissions device I'm positive I can easily bypass. The hose that goes to the CVT case, do I just remove the hose and plug the hole in the CVT case? Anyone know what the other hose is for?

Thank you to anyone that can help. It's greatly appreciated.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
sorry i don't do much on the r9 so not sure what size jets you need .
 and you can just plug  up most those hoses.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

unknownuser01

Man, I can't figure out what's going on... The motor keeps flooding. Here I was thinking it wasn't getting enough fuel, but it was getting too much. I have just finished cleaning the carb, and put it all back together. Don't know what to do. When I do get it running, it only runs for a few minutes before petering out.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
well the carb has a float and when it gets to a level there is a needle
 that cuts off excess flow into the carb.

so perhaps you have a bad float,
something stopping the needle from seating and allowing the overflow to happen
or your float is out of adjustment.

too big of jets or bad adjustments, but i assume everything is stock?

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

kammerer1

Hey, just wondering how your upgrades went. I'm thinking I will do the same thing to my R9 (Install Air Filter and new jets). I ordered a set of main jets that I'm going to experiment with (115, 120, 125, 130, 135) and see which gives the best performance. Did you ever get your scooter to run properly? I'd be curious to hear if you had any advice.

Thanks!

The Professor

I yanked the engine out of my R9 and installed it in my Ruckus so I will be interested to see your jetting results.

kammerer1

So I've been playing around with my R9 carburetor, air flow and gas intake mixture. I ordered an air pod/filter and a set of larger main jets as mentioned earlier (115,120,125,130,135). What I'm finding is that my R9 is performing best (so far) with stock parts rather than any upgrades. I'm in Mesquite, Nevada, elevation is around 1,500 ft. Doesn't get too cold here. The main jet that was in my carburetor originally is a 112. It actually runs pretty well as it is. Has plenty of power and pickup, tops out around 55 mph and I get on average about 60 mpg. I was hoping by upgrading some of the mentioned parts I could improve on this, but as it looks, I may need to stick with what I have. I tried the air pod and the 120 main jet, but performance went down drastically. That is, tops out about 35-40 and engine "bogs" down from a too rich air/fuel mixture.   I'd be curious to hear what anyone else has found. Maybe I should even go down a jet size or two? The scooter is actually running great, I'm just the type of guy who likes to take things apart and tinker. Any other suggestions? Has anyone had success improving performance, gas mileage, etc?

Thanks, and happy scooting!

kammerer1

By the way to "The Professor". I see from another post you live in Vegas. What size main jet are you currently using?

kammerer1

...and... You pulled your R9 engine out and put it in a Ruckus? How did that turn out? Love to hear the details.

The Professor

My engine is all completely stock right now except for the air box and filter being removed and a K&N setup installed. I pulled the jets when I cleaned the carb but I don't remember what size they are. I was thinking the main was a 115 but it could have been a 112. I originally bought the R9 in Rapid City SD, so it might be a different size. I can do 72-75 on mine if I am on the freeway and drafting, but normally top speed is about 68. The engine lost alot of power just before I swapped it into the Ruckus so my top speed is about 45 right now until I do a tune up.