TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

101s not starting any ideas????

Guest · 9 · 4582

Bren40

Had the wifes 101s parked up for long while (9 months) so we decided to give it to our 16yo son for his birthday. Put in a new battery,new fuel and it wont start. Checked for spark and fuel, both ok. Stripped carby and cleaned still no go.Checked compression, ok at 120psi. (Note) that there doesnt seem to be much suction on carbie side. Swapped out carby from spare bike, still nothing wont get more that slight splutter..... frustrating as this bike was running fine till we parked it up. any ideas????

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
start by giving it a shot of starting fluid.
 if it runs for a short time its in fuel delivery system
check for cracks or disconnected vac line
 or intake ...

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

Bren40

Tried starting spray, it still just splutters. Just cant get it to fire or try to sound like its starting. Even took carby off and sprayed straight into intake but same as above. I have 2 spare bikes that i can rob parts from to eliminate any problems. Anymore ideas Im happy to try, Thanks 

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
are you sure you have spark?

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

Bren40

Good strong spark. tried spray again today in carby and in head but still not firing.

Its like the kill switch is stuck on, but if it was i wouldnt be getting spark.

Happy to keep elinminating and troubleshooting....

Bren40

Finally found the answer to my problem.... got fuel, got spark but wont run at all.

After hrs of cleaning, testing and swapping parts, found the exhaust pipe to be completely blocked.

Our local hornets,wasps tend to like building their mud houses in small holes ie tgb exhausts!!!!

Swapped exhausts and it purrs like a kitten.

jmgard58

Finally found the answer to my problem.... got fuel, got spark but wont run at all.

After hrs of cleaning, testing and swapping parts, found the exhaust pipe to be completely blocked.

Our local hornets,wasps tend to like building their mud houses in small holes ie tgb exhausts!!!!

Swapped exhausts and it purrs like a kitten.

I have the same issue...parked for a while: new battery, new gas, etc
I haven't tried starter fluid but the exhaust is clear.
Two questions:
How to find carb and spray starter fluid - the engine seems to be well covered.
How to get access to the power/kill switch. It seems to act as if the kill switch is staying in the 'kill' position.

THanks in advance.......

jmgard58

So...
Changed the gas, charged the battery, checked the spark plug for fouling....all is well there.
Sprayed starter fluid into intake (removed air cleaner first) and it will start and run for a few seconds then sputter to a stop.
Did that 5 or 6 times before charge got too low again.
Any ideas on how to clean out the fuel line? It really was running well before it parked it a few years ago and I had the enzyme stuff in the fuel tank.