TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

101R How do I remove the starter ?

Guest · 3 · 2017

mikeh

Hi all,

my sons bought a 5yr old 101r and the starter is U/S, I've been underneath, remove the screw/bolt with -ve connection that bolts through to the crackcase but it won't budge. Is there another bolt somewhere because I've got the thing stripped on the garage floor and I'm damned if I can find it.

Cheers, Mike.

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
so if your working on a scooter you might want the
service manual
http://tgbforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=187.0

or perhaps even the parts manual which has an exploded view
http://tgbforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=194.0

both these links are at the bottom of the tgbforum.com
hint: you'll notice there's a hole near where the goes in
look for the bolt that goes in the hole.

oilyhans
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:54:49 PM by harry »
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

mikeh

Thanks, I actually found it tonight, one of the bolts had been previously sheared off by some idiot who'd obviously tried to remove the starter before ! It was all corroded flush and I couldn't see it, after wire brushing it all off I could see the casing of the starter where it butts up to the engine and drifted it off with a bar and hammer. This left a rusty stud which came out with some good old mole grips.

I do feel slightly stupid though, it was pretty obvious when I went back to it.

I've pulled the manual for what it's worth but they're not exactly complex machines compared to my Hayabusa so I'll cope with most of it I reckon ;)

The 101 is now a pile of bits in the garage which will all be cleaned, painted and rebuilt with new stainless bolts wherever possible and plenty of copper grease :)

New starter, brake pads, cone filter and belt being delivered tomorrow so hopefully by the end of the weekend it'll be back in one piece and my boy will be like a pig in muck !