TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

What Octane Fuel to Run

Guest · 7 · 7293

svostang85

The manual says 91/96?  So what Octane fuel is everyone running?  From what I have read on the web the GY6 motor is not a high compression motor so why would it require such high octane fuel.

Thanks,
Shad

Gordo

I put 92 octain in mine. Thats what the dealer said was the best for it.  I figure since I'm only putting in a gallon at a time....the 30 cent differnce isn't going to kill me.

svostang85

It isn't really the cost of premium fuel that bothers me.  The problem is more so using high octane fuel in a low compression motor.  Doing so actually robs it of power and reduces gas mileage.  I really wish I could find out what the actual compression ratio is for the motor.

Shad

rjbosco

I've been using regular in my R50X.  I do put in about an ounce of STP gas treatment each time I fill up, which hopefully will keep the carb and other parts of the fuel line clean.

RushNatU

You should always use premium fuel in a 2 stroke.  They are high compression and require the anti-knocking properties of high octane fuel.

r70x

Hi there,
I tried running 98 in mine,but it didn't go as good as 91,I think 98 doesn't spark at low revs,it just lulled, then off it went.Since back on the 91 no probs. ;)

ALL THE BEST,,,,,,,,,ENJOY THE RIDE

The Professor

I know this is old, but I usually run the cheapest I can find that doesn't have ethanol in it. This usually causes me to purchase 91 octane. By the way, somebody said that these should get higher octane because two strokes have high compression, but the R9 is a 4 stroke. 2 strokes burn an oil/fuel mix, common in dirt bikes, chain saws, and older scooters.