TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

How to locate regulator/rectifier (RR) on 2007 r50x?

Guest · 10 · 4293

tominbmore

Hi all,

I have a 2007 r50x that has been having charging issues.  First, I noticed that the battery is putting out low outputs of 12.15 when the scooter is off, around 12 when the scooter is at idle (with lights automatically on), and no higher than 12.5 when the scooter revs to 8000 rpm or higher.

Folks tell me that assuming that the battery is charged and not faulty, there must be a broken link somewhere between the stator and the battery.  I should therefore test the stator with my multimeter, and do the same with my RR. I'm OK with that part, as there are videos and diagrams out there showing me how to use my multimeter to do that.

I have two questions:

(1) BEFORE proceeding with these tests, should I charge the battery up to higher volts by using a trickle charger/battery tender?  Or should I go ahead with testing the stator and RR?  
I ask because clearly the battery output is low WHEN THE SCOOTER IS OFF.  I am pretty sure it should be at 12.5 to maybe 12.8 or so from the starting point.

(2)  Assuming i go ahead with the tests, does anyone here know where the RR is located on my particular make and model of scooter?

I have attached a photo.  It is of a black box doohickey that is perched at the front of the gas tank, with many wires coming into and out of it.  I think this is the RR, but as you can see it does not look the usual waffle-looking RR's on sale on various websites. But TGB does things differently from the Chinese and Italians, i have been learning.

Thanks all!

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
I have two questions:
(1) BEFORE proceeding with these tests, should I charge the battery up to higher volts by using a trickle charger/battery tender? 
YES BY ALL MEANS!
Or should I go ahead with testing the stator and RR?

I ask because clearly the battery output is low WHEN THE SCOOTER IS OFF.  I am pretty sure it should be at 12.5 to maybe 12.8 or so from the starting point.
A GOOD HOT BATTERY SHOULD READ  12.5-13v
(2)  Assuming i go ahead with the tests, does anyone here know where the RR is located on my particular make and model of scooter?

It is of a black box doohickey that is perched at the front of the gas tank, with many wires coming into and out of it.  I think this is the RR, but as you can see it does not look the usual waffle-looking RR's on sale on various websites. But TGB does things differently from the Chinese and Italians, i have been learning.
IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE A STANDARD R/R
hope that helps
oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

tominbmore

Excellent! Thanks man.

I'll boost the battery charge first. Then I will be able to start testing things to see why the battery is not getting enough juice.

As for the R/R, I will take a closer look at the thing I included in the photo above... maybe it looks different because it has this black rubber casing on it...

I simply cannot imagine where the R/R might be hiding, as I have poked around everywhere looking.

Tx!

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
have you found the service manuals & parts manuals ?
they both have pictures ;)

you will find them at the bottom of the forum home page

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

tominbmore

Thanks, man.

yes, I came across those manuals, very helpful.  However, the weird thing is that the gizmo in the photo I posted above has prongs exactly identical to R/R's I have found online, including this model example:

http://scooterpartsplace.com/images/products/detail/50cc_Voltage_Regulator_Rectifier.jpg

Mine has those four metal prongs, as part of a male-female connection/plug.  Only difference being that mine lacks the standard waffle-iron grill of most R/R's, and instead seems to be encased in black rubber that I cannot pull off.  Maybe TGB decided to go with an unorthodox design for this model? Maybe under that black rubber is a normal-looking R/R?

What do you make of the four metal prongs I mentioned? I can supply more photos of this gizmo and its connector, etc, when i get home tonight.

I also have found a wiring diagram for my scooter. I will follow the wires to see what leads where.  Hoping that gives me answers.

tx again!

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
there will be a fair amount of heat generated
from the 75v (about) made from the stator
and rectified/regulated  to 12v for the system.

you need the metal fins to dissipate the heat .
what you are asking about is  the starter  relay .

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

tominbmore

I see.  Thanks!

That explains it.  Now I just have to keep poking around to find that R/R, which is hiding somewhere!  First I'll up-charge the battery with the charger/maintainer, so that the battery has a reading between 12.5 and 13 V.  Then I can do the charging system tests again.

tominbmore

Hey Harry, and others -- I'm bumping this to see if some fresh eyes can catch it.  Hoping to get the detailed answer to the question about where my regulator/rectifier ("R/R") is hiding on my TGB r50x 2007 scooter.  I have looked high and low!!  I have also looked in the parts and service manuals, which do not shed light about its LOCATION.

Maybe it is BEHIND the valve cover that houses my sparkplug, in the front of the engine.  Maybe it is tucked deep inside the front part of the scooter, right next to where the battery is housed.  I have poked around all the main areas of the engine, leading from the stator to the starter relay, to the carb and the fuel and oil lines, etc., and I have followed the main wires to the CDI, and then to what I believe is the ignition coil, which is hidden to the right of the battery. 

I simply cannot imagine where it might be.  I ask because I have been meaning to run voltmeter tests on the various lines coming from the stator -- I seem to have a charging issue -- but have been so busy at work that I haven't been able to set aside time. 

So, in the meantime I thought I might just take a swing at the R/R, replace it with a new one for $25 or so, and if that was the problem, all will be good.  If it turns out not to be a faulty R/R issue, well, I would either have a spare R/R for when it DOES break, or I could re-sell the R/R on eBay for $5 less and be more or less where I started off.

Thanks for anyone who has insights!!  Remember, this is a 2007 r50x.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:25:49 AM by harry »

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
it is bolted to the frame
it is not under the engine cowling .
good chance its under the front body plastic  .

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

tominbmore