TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

What battery do I need for replacement?

Guest · 3 · 2253

tominbmore

Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions for what kinds of battery I need.

I am having problems starting up my r50x.  I suspect it is an electrical issue, because first I was only able to start 'er by kick start, and then I couldn't even do that.  The engine starts to turn, but not enough juice goes to the engine is my suspicion because the headlights generate only a very dim glare.  Anyway, because my battery appears to be continually losing its max charge in non-load readings, I figured why not just buy a replacement, and do the same with the park plug and test each one to see which one (if any) was the cause.

Which brand or type of battery do I need? And what are some preferred sites that wont charge me an arm and a leg? If there is a general kind of battery that is made by different manufacturers, all the better. I already consulted with the parts manual (here: http://www.cobrasales.com/docs/TGB%20R50X%20-%20Owners%20Manual.pdf), but that only tells me that I need one that is 12V 4AH.  Are there any other considerations I must take into account? i don't want to order a 12V 4AH battery, only to find it is too big for my r50x, or that it is meant only for lawnmowers or some such. :)

Tx!!

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
if you look on  the battery there will be a number
perhaps  ???5L-BS .
depending on the year of your r50x there was a
tech notice that the stator was bad and you had to replace it.
but they don't have a year or serial (vin) number where they made the fix
listed.http://www.peirspeed.com/Cobrasales/docs/TSB/Bulletin%20R50X%20STATOR%2020060817.pdf

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

tominbmore

Thank you!  I will check the battery, and proceed after I see what ID # it is.

This is a 2007 TGB r50x, so it sounds as if maaaaybe it was made after the stator issue.  But I will check the wires for the colors to see if that gives me guidance.

tom