TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Water in Gas

Guest · 7 · 3706

marys

I bought my daughter a 2007 Key West.   It has turned out to be most unreliable.  We live in Florida and often get heavy rains.   It has been in the shop 3 times for water in the gas which prevent it from starting.  The last time it was in the shop for 6 weeks because it was knocked over in Tropical Storm Faye and the dealer said that the bearings rusted?  Is anyone else having problems?   The dealer also said that water can get in the gas through the key hole.  Thoughts?

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
well  the key hole leak sounds a bit silly   ::)    i'm in the Seattle area where it rains
like the 'Dickins' as grandma used to say. i also sell  the KeyWest & never seen that happen.
they also have typhoons & monsoons in Tiwain

about the water in the gas
where do you get your gas?
from a can or a station? same station?
buy gas from somewhere else
 make sure your gas can has no water in it .

when you suspect water  you can add ISOHEET  or HEET.
perhaps  this time of year the rainy season  you might just add it
 for good measure to keep water from forming.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

burntroach

water in the gas is kinda unlikely  i would check your gas out   dont use cheap gas  use premium gas
an if theres still a problem use some HEET  just a lil   i have my scoter out in the mud an stuff all the time and rain  an nothing ever gets in my tank

make sure you dont by Regular gas   get  Ulimate or Premium 92 or 93 octane  thats what i use an  everyone else with scooters an no one has any any problems   only when they use cheap regular gas.

marys

I thought the "water in the gas" sounded far fetched too, but that's what the dealer is saying.  I personally think that the dealer is having mechanic problems and is reaching for excuses.  Anyone else have a problem the All About Scooters in Tallahassee Florida?

I'll be sure to tell my daughter to use premium gas, not regular.

FloridaRider

I thought the "water in the gas" sounded far fetched too, but that's what the dealer is saying.  I personally think that the dealer is having mechanic problems and is reaching for excuses.  Anyone else have a problem the All About Scooters in Tallahassee Florida?

I know this is an old post but its funny because I had all about scooters tell me the same thing with my tgb when I took it to them to get a wheel repaired when it had been sitting at their shop, they said in the future to put a spray paint can top over the gas cover to stop water from getting into the gas, does anyone else follow this or is that BS? Thanks

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
this is a oldie moldy one..
they are full of it , its the ethanol that causes most the water
in the fuel.
try to find gas without ethanol , i know Valero stations carry it
here in the pnw.

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

condopresident

Funny seeing this here. I know it's an old post but I live about two blocks from that shop. Nice bunch of guys, and I've heard nothing but good things about their work, but I'm also the only TGB owner I know of around here. Was contemplating taking my bike up there for some work if I can't get it running on my own.