TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

2007 r50x, new to tgb- oil leak, speedometer, etc

Guest · 7 · 3994

Triesandluth

Hey there!  I'm familiar with 2t scooters,  I own a Super 9 LC, but not with the Moroni style. This bike I just got has a few issues thatI'd like to know if they're normal problems.  Searches have brought nothing. 
First,  least important,  the speedometer goes from zero to 199mph. I'm not familiar with electronic speedometer setup at all. 
Next,  I have an oil leak onto the top of the engine shroud.  That I'm sure I can find,  but I'm not familiar with the vacuum feed oil injection.  Also,  the oil light comes on when reaching about 4000+ rpms.  Oil is full,  gonna check if I'm getting oil at the carb tomorrow.  Otherwise I may just premix.
Derestricting the exhaust,  is there the ring at the jug and the emissions tube need cut and welded shut,  or just the shut MOD?
I've barely gotten into it before it was too late to tinker with it,  so I'll edit anything I rule out along the way tomorrow.
Any help or suggestions else be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:46:58 PM by Triesandluth »

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
Hey there!  I'm familiar with 2t scooters,  I own a Super 9 LC, but not with the Moroni style. This bike I just got has a few issues thatI'd like to know if they're normal problems.  Searches have brought nothing. 
First,  least important,  the speedometer goes from zero to 199mph. I'm not familiar with electronic speedometer setup at all. 
Next,  I have an oil leak onto the top of the engine shroud.  That I'm sure I can find,  but I'm not familiar with the vacuum feed oil injection.  Also,  the oil light comes on when reaching about 4000+ rpms.  Oil is full,  gonna check if I'm getting oil at the carb tomorrow.  Otherwise I may just premix.
Derestricting the exhaust,  is there the ring at the jug and the emissions tube need cut and welded shut,  or just the shut MOD?
I've barely gotten into it before it was too late to tinker with it,  so I'll edit anything I rule out along the way tomorrow.
Any help or suggestions else be much appreciated!

well the speedo  runs like a regular one off the front wheel , then converts to
 electronic . check your cable  and gear.

the oil light  runs off a oil level sensor. if your getting weird readings  its the sensor or the instrument assy 
if you have many things going on in the instrument panel  bad speedo, bad oil
indicator it might be the assy itself..   

the oil system is the same as all TGB scooters . the oil is pumped when the motor is
turning .excess(blackish) oil maybe coming from a exhaust leak, plug leak or head or base gasket leaking. fresh oil can only come from the injector system that goes into the  carb or intake. oil pump is located at the top of the motor
vacuum is only for opening the fuel petcock .

no removable washer in the exhaust. the air system is rather small on the TGB's
intake and carb are under sized plus the cdi is restricted. if you want the power
buy cylinder kit ,a better exhaust , carb, intake and cdi  replace the springs with 1500rpm.

oilyhans

i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

Triesandluth

Thanks for the speedy reply! 
I believe I've solved the oil leak.  Just a hose that was reamed out a bit and leaking at the fitting.  Trimmed and good. 
The light coming on at higher rpm was possibly solved. The accessory plug in the seat compartment was unplugged and has a blown fuse,  but was still plugged in at the harness connection.  I unplugged that until I get another fuse and the light stopped coming on.  There is oil getting to the carb,  so that worry is gone. 
The belt seems to slap inside the cvt case at idle.  I'm going to get a new belt once I get a socket to fit it, the bando on it may be wrong.  I don't recall the size on it right now.
I'm currently having an  issue with it dying after riding a little and coming to a stop.  As the idle drops back it then will die and won't start until it sits for a few minutes.  I'm going to take the carb apart and check everything.  It came with a mikuni carb in the storage compartment.  I may go to that one.  I'm not sure what is on it at the moment. Is the port that the oil line hooks up at supposed to be penetrable?  I tried to stick a torch tip cleaner through with no success.
What is a typical main jet size?  The mikuni has a 70 in it,  but my kymco had 83 before I up jetted.   

Thanks again.  Any advice would be appreciated.  This bike is a lot harder to find information about compared to my kymco.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 02:49:27 PM by Triesandluth »

Triesandluth

So,  the speedo cable is fine.  Yet just a brisk twist of it sends the mph to 60+. So I disassembled it and find that the cable turns a round magnet inside of the instrument cluster.  What confuses me is what the magnet communicates to.  Here's some pictures,  maybe you may know,  or see,  something that's off.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/d1vqi40pea33r71/AABXLLdZAboziuDWZxiCLP3ra

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
so many questions!!!
 the mikuni  will be bigger than the stock carb
stock carb is 12mm with a tiny 60 main
the brass oil check valve  has a spring and a tiny ball bearing
inside that shuts off the oil when it is not being pumped to keep the carb
 from filling with oil when the motor is not running...

check out my site  for parts  i have lots not on the list and i can get
most anything else including  stock parts
https://whidbeyislandmoped.com/cart/

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph

Triesandluth

Turns out the one on it was also a mikuni,  but it still had the 60 in it.  I set the other,  visibly larger carb up just to find that the top piece that the cable goes though was too long a and didn't leave enough room for the cable to attach to the slide and still function.  I may be able to mod it,  but first things first is to find all The other problems. I did drop the seventy jet into the smaller carb that fits the bike, at least for now
I'll check out your link. 
Thanks again.  Sorry for the bombardment of questions.  I get quite excited over a new project and tend to get overbearing at times.  Once I get to a happy area of running I settle down a lot,  ha ha. 

harry

• Administrator
    • Whidbey Island Moped
many times i've had to custom make a new throttle cable
when  putting  on a new carb.
you can also cut the tube and re thread it.

but the real issue is that the tube on  some replacement  carbs
 don't swivel and are fixed at the wrong angle
making the cable having to be rerouted .

oilyhans

1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
46mph