TGBForum.com
TGB Scooter And ATV Enthusiast Forum

Rought Idle when Cold

Guest · 5 · 3752

jsorvik

My Sunset starts great, but it idles very poorly . . wants to kill . . . and smokes until it is warmed up. Once it is warmed up, it runs great. Do I need to adjust something on the idle screws on the carb?

harry

• Administrator
  • Personal scooter consultant to the rich & famous
    • Whidbey Island Moped
best way to adjust the carb is to warm up your scooter for about a 10 min ride
 then adjust the mix screw (small screw in carb body) until the motor runs the fastest   then adjust the idle  screw(big screw that sticks out of carb body).
if its new,  like under 300miles it will smoke a bit on start up..

oilyhans
i own a scooter shop  with rentals ,sales& racing parts.
i also appraise scooters for KBB.

2003 Vino classic stage 0.75
de-reged stock variator w/8g sliding weights.
1.5k rpm  springs
42mph
2005 veniceLX ~70cc~upjet~1.5k rpm springs & 7gr sliders
46mph
KeyWest de restricted~8gr slide

jsorvik

Actually. . . the scooter is past preliminary break-in . . . I have almost 900 miles on it. I have had the dealer adjust it twice, but they don't seem to be able to improve it. I am new and still learning about this scoot. Is there some place that has a picture of the carb so that I can make sure I am looking at the right pictures?

Like I said, once it is warmed up, it seems to run fine. It is just when starting it that it dies unless I give it some throttle. . . and it smokes. After it has warmed for a couple of minutes, it seems to run just fine.

BTW, I did a plug check while hot and it appears that the mixture is fine when the scoot is operating normally.

Is this a choke problem? It seems to me like maybe it is too rich when it is cold. . . Is that possible?

jsorvik

My sunset went back to the dealer and they agreed that it is too rich when it is cold. . . but can't seem to fix it. I must just have an electronic choke control that lets too much fuel through. I can keep the engine running by feathering the throttle until it warms up, but it is a hassle. None of the other guys I know around here with a TGB have the problem, but the dealer is giving me the, "you will just have to live with it" solution. Not a major deal, but disappointing.

I really look forward to the day when these scoots have dealers with solid mechanics and a desire to do timely/effective repairs. Every time it goes in, it is there for 3-6 days before they get it looked at and in my northern climate, that is a MAJOR chunk of my riding season!

jtl

I wish I had the answer, but Harry seems to know what he is talking about.  I know what you are saying about the lack of dealers and experienced TGB mechanics, but most of these 2 strokes are the same so I would think any decent mechanic could troubleshot your problem. Why do you think it is too rich, maybe it is getting too much oil before the engine is hot enough to burn it up. I worry more about being able to even get parts.  Mine smokes on start up as well.  My neighbor who raced two stroke Motocross for many years claims that on start up give it some revs before you climb on to clear out the system.  Good luck and keep sharing your experiences.
John